The 35mm Look

Hello, i have a question to all the camera bufs...

Pro35 = expencive
mini35 = still to expencive
RedRock M2 = yeah not enough money for the camera as well

...... where next? is there a cheaper option for the 35mm look. i dont mind buying second hand, but i need advice

thanks guys

The best advice is... good cinematography and lighting. You can shoot with mini-dv and get some great results with the right DP. Coupled with the right screenplay, you will really have something good. Trying to make video look like 35mm is just a time waster. Shoot a good short and maybe next time around you can raise enough to actually shoot 35.

The best advice is... good cinematography and lighting. You can shoot with mini-dv and get some great results with the right DP. Coupled with the right screenplay, you will really have something good. Trying to make video look like 35mm is just a time waster. Shoot a good short and maybe next time around you can raise enough to actually shoot 35.

But don't you think adapters like the mini35 and redrock look just like 35mm???

I do, plus its alot harder to get to film 35mm in England!!

http://www.red.com it's actually a 35mm camera without adding all the glass between the subject and the chip like the 35mm adaptors do. If you do choose to go with the 35mm adaptors, shoot Hi Def otherwise you're not doing yourself justice.

I'm pretty sure though that you'll be able to rent a red setup for about the same amount you can rent a Hi-Def 35mm adaptor for the same amount of time. If you're looking for ownership, the 35mm will be cheaper, but you'll eventually start to notice the graininess of the footage. The 35mm adaptors work by projecting the image from the lens onto a frosted surface and the camera shoots the image off of that surface. Since it's such a small surface, the grain of the surface is extremely noticeable... so much so that the adaptors use motors to keep the surface in motion and use the motion blur of the camera to hide the grain. So you'll be giving up any shutter possibilities depending on what you're going to be shooting.

You'll also need to add a person to the camera crew to pull focus no matter what you go with due to the fact that the shallow depth of field that 35mm gives you is hard to manage without someone dedicated just to that task. Add time to your schedule as well for extra takes due to lost focus.

if the sensor is 24x36, then it's bigger than a 35mm (43mm according to pythagoras) as the measurements that are used are diagonal measurements (like television screens). 35mm is about 22mm x 27mm (very rough measurements - can't quite figure out the math in my head and it's causing a headache ;) )

The actual size of the image on the film is dependent on what format is being shot..

35mm "Academy" Aperture is 22mm x 16mm
Cinemascope is 21.9mm x 18.6mm

36mm x 24mm is the size of a 35mm still photo frame, but it's important to realize that is also shot horizontally on the film, whereas motion picture film is (almost always) shot vertically, with perforations on the left & right rather than top & bottom... I say almost always because there do exist a couple of 8-perf horizontal formats.. but they are most certainly the exception, not the rule. ;)

Back