• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

that character that drive the story forward

Has that little part that drives the main character through sections of the movie. The main character has to explain his position and what not, this allows the audience to understand where the plot is heading. What is he officially called? Anyone know?

Last edited:
Main character narrations would seem to be the term.

You mean like Dexter where his thoughts were the narrations in the series?

No, I mean like an actual character that is presented within the story and interacts with a main character so that the main character has someone to express himself with rather than talking to himself or directly to the camera. This interaction gives the audience an understanding of what the main characters thoughts and feelings are.

I'd say you seem to have a bigger problem: if your characters require blatant exposition for your story to work, something's amiss.

Agreed. Whatever you want to call them - supporting character, mentor, whatever - you must be able to move your story forward without some talking head explaining everything that is going on. It's your characters actions (in actions) and decisions made in face of challenging and exciting obstacles that feeds the drama that moves your story forward.

But the person that can help show the things that you really don't want to blatantly spell out on the page can be a mentor, a sidekick, a love interest, a friend, a relative. How they interact and more importantly what they don't say or do makes for better writing and more fulfilling story telling. Ooh, and and about using a narrator - that is tricky to pull off successfully as you are now bringing the reader/viewer directly into the story. This can be done but doing it without distracting from their connection to the story takes a lot of planning and all of the material has to be crafted to pull this off well.

I hope this helped.

Back