• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Terminology to use when there is multiple lines of indecipherable dialogue

Hi,

I know I have seen it before in script and subtitled films. What terminology is used when there are multiple lines of dialogue that aren't wholly coherent. I have an audio flashback scene in my main character's mind in which several key phrases of dialogue come flooding back to him all at once. Thanks for your help.

There is no terminology for anything.

You need to describe your scene in a way that carries the audience, and captivates them. And it's all in the context of what's happening, technical terminology is dry, just use a little license...

they all speak at once, words jumble into incoherent sentences, overlapping and interjecting ...

Then just put in snippets and fragments of what is heard.

I'm referring to inaudible dialogue due to many layers of it all at once.

If none of the dialogue is decipherable then it's walla, otherwise if snippets and fragments are heard it's overlapping dialogue.

There is no terminology for anything. You need to describe your scene in a way that carries the audience, and captivates them.

The screenplay isn't what carries the audience, it's the film which does that! So you need to communicate your scene to the director/filmmakers and that's why film terminology exists.

G

Back