Techie editing question.

Do you know if any of the major editing platforms (Avid, FCP, Premiere) have multi-user or server based versions of the program? For instance, can a user log onto a mainframe or server on a remote terminal and run the program on the server, where the terminal doesn’t actually house the program and source material; it’s just an I/O port, and can multiple users work at once? I’m trying to contact the manufacturers, but I thought I’d try this too.

Single-User Constructs

Film,

I've got to believe those are all designed as single-user/single workstation based applications. Used to work at Avid years ago and I can't recall any workgroup-based or collaberative editing apps like you've described.

Given the processor and resource intensive nature of video editing, designing a multi-user based editing app would be a nightmare. Not that it coudln't be done...

Sharing the media isn't out of the question on a decent network (100 MB at least) and it would be a lot simpler to design something like a source control system to allow working check-in & check-out of materials for projects.

=- Steve P -=

Back