Teaching an old dog new tricks

I am 36 years old. I have never taken a film class(not even film appreciation). I love movies and run a movie club at my house. Last year I made a short training video for work and since then have been itching to do something more with what I learned from making it. I have decided to make a movie. It will be a live action short about ten to fifteen minutes. I am going to write the screenplay(with my wife's help). I am going to direct, produce, edit, everything except star in(I can't act). Friends and family will act in it. I plan on using very little budget and shoot it in DV with my camcorder. I don't expect to be the next Welles or Spielberg, but I am trying to learn more about filmaking. Short of quitting my career and going back to school is there other ways to learn. Like books, online classes, etc. Any advise would be helpful

Hey Goofy. I am also 36, I have the same film education as you (none), and last year did exactly what you want to do. It works. You don't need books or classes, though I suppose it couldn't hurt.

Write your story. Plan your scenes. Test it. Shoot it. If you are truly a movie buff--you've seen enough camera angles and lighting tricks to know what works and what doesn't. Use that knowledge to create something unique.

Feel free to let us know if you have any specific questions -- there are a lot of great, helpful people on this board!

Hi Goofyman,

Listen, I'm living proof that taking film courses doesn't make you a filmmaker...I've taken plenty in the past and never applied myself. I think the key is *recognizing* that the moving medium is the ONLY way you want to bring a particular vision to fruition...that is enough incentive to push you towards *research* on what you NEED to turn that vision into something tangible.

The first thing you can do is a *search*, here. There are seperate forums from screenwriting to marketing. The second thing you can do is *shoot*. Experiment with techniques you've seen in movies....what conveys the ambience you remember best? Experiment with editing techniques...a jump-cut makes an audience feel different than , say a cut to plastic material. Sound is another element... again, what in your movie going experience, made you feel a specific way, what did you like/appreciate about the amalgamation of sound and image?

I'm also a hugh proponent of books and websites on filmmaking. (no opinion of online courses as I've never taken any)

It's never too late, so banish that thought or it'll keep you from accomplishing what you want to. ;)

Back