T3i has been pre-ordered. Oh boy :O

So this is it, I've laid down the moola for a real camera. Actually I pre-ordered it a few days ago but I can't get it off my mind so I thought I would share. Ha, and I've been ordering everything I can think of to go with it as well. What I've ordered so far/received:

Canon EOS Rebel T3i kit 18-55m + SquareTrade 3-Year Camera/Camcorder Warranty Plus Accident Protection (a must have)

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens

One Patriot LX 32GB (class 10) Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) Flash Card Model PSF32GSDHC10

A simple UV filter to protect the lens...Might have to get another since I will have two lens ehh?

Battery Grip

Two extra 2000mAH batteries

Wireless remote

Mini HDMI to HDMI cable

Already own:

Custom tripod/steadicam I designed

Shotgun mic

Custom shock mount for mic

Custom camera bag

Cinelerra, OpenShot, Kdenlive for video editing and a trial of Sony Vegas

Audacity for audio editing if need be

That's all I can think of at the moment. How does my list look? Anyone else pre-order this camera or plan on getting it?

Cinelerra, OpenShot, Kdenlive for video editing and a trial of Sony Vegas

Audacity for audio editing if need be

YES you will need Audacity for sound editing...

Im an Ubuntu Linux nut myself. I have the T2i, most of the time you can just drop the video into the timeline on Cinelerra as is. Sometimes Cinelerra does not like the video straight from the cam so I re-encode using FFMPEG's lossless command -sameq

Audio from the T2i does not show on my computer in Cinelerra. No biggie. I just right click on the original video file and open in Audacity then save the cam's sound file to use for synch. I drop my original video file onto timeline, then add Audacity generated file and then add my Audio from my H4N then delete the audio from the cam.

I would add a Boom Pole and a Zoom H4N for sound..someone around here thinks sound is 1/2 the experience.. he is 100% correct.. You must master sound in order to get a decent video. then you will be ripe to learn about the art of sound and how important ( and difficult ) it is to get good audio. Let the learning begin

Last edited:
I will be recording the audio to the camera for now. Canon has added the manual audio controls to this version so I wont have to worry about any auto gain issues. I have looked at external recorders, but at the moment they are not a feasible option (aka running out of the moala). Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever tried using one of those personal audio recorders? Like the kind you would find in a store for like $20 - $40? Also when I get to that point, I will most likely build my own custom boom pole :) I love doing that kind of stuff. I also ordered a rubber 3 point hood for the lens as well.

IndieBudget, when you re-encode do you find any lose in quality? Thank you for those tips as well!

If you're out of money, you're out of money. So be it. Even with the auto-gain turned off, the camera's quality of recording is not good. Plus, how are you going to monitor audio?

In the beginning, you just gotta work with what you've got. Such is life. But in the long run, a decent external recorder is essential, and $20-40 ain't gonna cut it. Considering the low cost of this camera, eventually you should spend as much on audio as you did on the camera.

Oh, and until you can afford to buy a good boom, or build one, broomstick and duct-tape is better than nothing.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever tried using one of those personal audio recorders? Like the kind you would find in a store for like $20 - $40?

IndieBudget, when you re-encode do you find any lose in quality? Thank you for those tips as well!

I just ordered an Olympus Digital recorder to use in place of a wireless lav to test. Im sure the Audio experts will say not good enough, but what Im learning using good skills with basic eqt can get you passable sound, and expert skills w/ expert eqt gets the best of the best. Im guessing even the H1N would work $99. Main thing is to master the tools.

When I re-encode using FFMPEG, it looks the same to me. You can follow the instructions on how to install the latest FFMPEG and h.264 libraries on Ubuntu below:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=786095

I then open up FFMPEG in a terminal where the file is and type:

ffmpeg -i INPUT.MOV -sameq -acodec copy OUTPUT.mov

with "INPUT" being the beginning file and "OUTPUT" being the output. You are telling FFMPEG to take INPUT.MOV and encode using the same quality video and copy the audio and generate the file OUTPUT.mov

works for me

Last edited:
Hey, Indy. I use a Sony PX820 with an Olympus lav on the officiant when shooting weddings JUST IN CASE their voice doesn't travel well and can't be picked up by the Tram lav on my ultra expensive Lectrosonics wireless on the groom.

It's usable audio and not a joke.

Last edited:
Hey, Indy. I use a Sony PX820 with an Olympus lav on the officiant when shooting weddings JUST IN CASE their voice doesn't travel well and can't be picked up by the Tram lav on my ultra expensive Lectrosonics wireless on the groom.

It's usable audio and not a joke.

COOOOL that's what im a wantin' to do. I figured using a couple of them would be cheaper than wireless, a little more trouble, dunno if I shall turn each one off between takes or let them rip and slate or play a tone to make it easier to find the beginning of each take in edit.

Not to say I'm not going to slate each take, but if I add a 5 sec burst or tone before each slate, it would make it easier to find the beginning of each take

Last edited:
COOOOL that's what im a wantin' to do. I figured using a couple of them would be cheaper than wireless, a little more trouble, dunno if I shall turn each one off between takes or let them rip and slate or play a tone to make it easier to find the beginning of each take in edit

Mine are wide open and synced with pluraleyes...actually, that's another story.

Back