T2i + 35mm f2 + lens gear?

Lately I've been looking into getting the Canon 35mm f2 lens as my first prime. Now, I have one of the Cinematics lens gears found on Ebay, and from looking at the photos of the lens online it seems as though the lens is really short, with the focus ring about halfway the length of it. With the shape of the T2i body and the protruding flash head, will I be able to put the gear onto the lens and it sit well? I'd hate get it and not be able to have it work with my equipment. Thanks!

Lately I've been looking into getting the Canon 35mm f2 lens as my first prime. Now, I have one of the Cinematics lens gears found on Ebay, and from looking at the photos of the lens online it seems as though the lens is really short, with the focus ring about halfway the length of it. With the shape of the T2i body and the protruding flash head, will I be able to put the gear onto the lens and it sit well? I'd hate get it and not be able to have it work with my equipment. Thanks!

Is this your lens here? Pictures are useful. :)

Can you post a link to your Cinematics device on Ebay, or their site? There's too much stuff there, with Cinematics in the name. :lol:

Hmm, Hadn't really considered that. Although I do prefer having the follow focus as far from the lens as possible. The price is good, so I guess if my original plan doesn't work, the "zip-tie" one will suffice.

The packaging slip under the ring shows a maximum diameter that can be used, so I imagine it spreads open quite well.

Fwiw, my current cheapo one looks like this : Follow Focus gear , with a short knob instead of the long lever. It can be adjusted to pretty much any common DSLR lens, and tucks up nicely against the FF on my cheapo shouldermount (which is slowly falling to pieces lol. Get what you pay for)

The only thing you need to look out for, is the lenses that have their focus ring on the very end of the lens - such as that oft-recommended Canon nifty-fifty f1.8 . Great little lens, but the focus gear/band really has to balance precariously on the edge of that lens to work. It's quite a pita, when the gear turns too far and rolls the ring right off the tip.

Back