Syncing Audio

So I wasn't exactly sure what category to put this in, but since it's mostly relating to how to sync audio AT the filming, I thought this was probably a good fit.

Anyway, I've decided to start recording the audio from my Rode VideoMic into an audio recorder to sync later in post, due to the fact that I get a lot of hissing noise when I plug it into my Canon T3i, and I don't want to hack my camera to overcome the AGC. (Which seems to be the cause of the problem)

So, when I am recording the audio during the filming, what is the easiest way to do this? Obviously I should use my clapper at the beginning of each shot, but do I just keep the recorder on the entire time, or do I turn it on and off at the same time I do so on the camera? I'm trying to find the simple way to do this.

Also while we're at it, does anyone have any suggestions for how to sync it well in post?

Thanks so much everyone!

Sound will enter record ... loudly calling 'Speed'

Just for fun... The original reason for calling "speed" for sound and camera was that it took a few seconds for the mechanical reels to accelerate to full usage speed. Another anachronism from many moons ago, like "dialing" a phone number, even though we now use push buttons.

Just for fun... The original reason for calling "speed" for sound and camera was that it took a few seconds for the mechanical reels to accelerate to full usage speed. Another anachronism from many moons ago, like "dialing" a phone number, even though we now use push buttons.

Used to work with tape but not film work. Used 2inch multitracks in recording studios. Do I not miss lining up and biasing 24 tracks of tape. Seem to remember them hitting speed pretty damn fast considering.

Last edited:
Seem to remember them hitting speed pretty damn fast considering.

We're talking 1920's and 30's. They did not have the light durable plastics we have today; mechanical devices were VERY heavy. Things got much better quickly, but especially after WWII when technology made major leaps forward.

And yes, I don't miss biasing analog tape machines and dealing with wonky DAT machines either. I do miss real tape saturation.

I do miss real tape saturation.
I remember going to an exhibition when pro level digital open reels where pretty new and seriously expensive and seeing right next to them an analogue tape simulator for nearly as much money. I remember chuckling to myself as I added up it must cost around £45k to end back up with the sound of analogue tape.
In those days a Dolby SRx (i think that was the system) enabled 2inch machine could still deliver a wider usable dynamic range than digital.
I thought that will never catch on. To a degree I was right, digital tape was really a bit of a Do-Do. A careful blending of all the disadvantages of analogue and digital systems :lol:

Back