• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Syncing Audio (FCPX)

Hi there,

I have recently attempted to record my first ever short film and in my opinion i thought i actually did very well considering my lack of knowledge in the field until it came to the audio!

I recorded all the audio for my short film using a ZoomH4N with a deadcat. Yep, literally recorded all the audio directly to the zoom. I've heard thats not good to do but hey i'm still learning and this is the best option i had.

When it came to syncing the audio, i used a clapper and lined it up perfectly but for some reason as the video went on the audio or the video started to lag behind. I had no idea how to fix this issue and it ruined my film because all the audio was as i said, directly fed into the zoom.

I am using a Canon 600D to record at full 1080p resolution and at 24fp. The zoom i just got it a day before the shoot so i'm not educated in using it properly yet. I just fired it up and hit record. (Don't shoot me please)

Any help in fixing this problem or avoiding it in the future will be greatly appreciated. I am a beginner filmaker still learning so please do give some detailed advice if you have the time.

Thank you for reading :)

Drag both the sound and the video w/ sound onto the timeline, look at the waveform on the audio and drag the audio from the Zoom to match the spike of the clapper. Do it once and you will be an expert. Taking notes on the set as to the file numbers audio / video helps a lot. but once you figger out what was done in what order it becomes clear.

I know there is a program to synch them up for one, but it is not brain surgery.

Drag both the sound and the video w/ sound onto the timeline, look at the waveform on the audio and drag the audio from the Zoom to match the spike of the clapper. Do it once and you will be an expert. Taking notes on the set as to the file numbers audio / video helps a lot. but once you figger out what was done in what order it becomes clear.

I know there is a program to synch them up for one, but it is not brain surgery.

Sorry if i was not clear enough, i meant to say that despite matching the audio correctly it still started to lag behind as the video progressed. I am 110% sure i used the correct audio file for the correct video file. I assume it is a problem with maybe a setting in the zoom that does not match the canon 600D setting but since i'm a complete beginner i can't seem to figure it out.

To clarify, i matched the audio perfectly to match the clapper, it worked but it slowly started to lag behind as the video progressed.

What sample rate were you using on the Zoom? If I had to bet money I would say the you were on the 44.1kHz sample rate (music/CD), but video sound is 48kHz.

You should import the raw Zoom audio into a DAW and run a sample rate conversion during the import.

Lesson #1 - Record film/video audio at 48kHz sample rate or multiples thereof (96kHz, 192kHz).

Back