• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Survivor's Guide Trailer

Hey guys,
Well I finally managed to film my first real project, The Survivor's Guide to Roman Fires. It was kinda crazy-go-nuts. An actress dropped out a week before rehearsals, then an actor disappeared a week before the shoot, and THEN my DP only showed up one day, which was a real problem because I was the replacement for the missing actor. But somehow I pulled it off, and I learned so much that I'm ready to write a book, which was what I was going for.
Anywho, check out the trailer and throw that feedback at me. You may recall from my first short ("106") that I love the feedback, vicious or flowery.

~ Paul

Hey, just a heads up that I updated the trailer to be more clear. Lowered the music a bit and added title cards that set up the film. I kinda forgot that none of my characters mention that there is a war. Hmm.
Anyway, I'd love feedback if anybody has a moment.
~ Paul

First off, the acting seems pretty good to my senses. As far as negatives, and without knowing much about the story, I was expecting more action (chaos, riots, or maybe just an enhanced sense of urgency). Your exploring what it would be like with a war on American soil. Emotions would go through the roof, imo. Then again, I only watched the YouTube version once, so I may have missed some things. Forgive me, its late.

Interesting subject. :)

Thanks man. Yeah, it's a strange plot-line. The basic premise is extremity leads to destruction - more of a comment on modern activism, of course - which manifests in the idea of "tyranny or apathy," the two extremes explored. The aspect of tyranny, following a character who frames the story of the three characters manifesting apathy, has the most action, and it hasn't been filmed yet. Thus... not too much action in the trailer ;)
No doubt this would be a big-action film were it not a micro-budget project. If it were ever expanded to a feature... "Pax Americana," I think. Think a nation-wide release is in the cards for that?
~ Paul

Apathy in a homeland war situation seems a bit of a reach. That is my opinion. That certainly doesn't mean it couldn't work, though. Especially given your premise. I'm interested in what trailer you could deliver when the shooting is completed. Either way, I think your story is good.

If you think you have a story that can seize imaginations, then you should write it. Spec scripts can only be bought if they are written, afterall. :D

Well, the setup is that this war has dragged on for five years, and mostly stayed at the borders. The first apathetic character feigns nihilism, just waiting to face whatever comes (but really just leeching on his girlfriend). The second actively denies the danger and instead lives in a kind of fantasy world. I recently added a scene early on where friends try to convince him to flee to Canada, and he won't budge. We'll see if my audience buys it.
Spec scripts can only be bought if they are written, afterall.
True that. I've got another screenplay buzzing in my head first.
~ Paul

OK, I understand now. I was under the impression the war had a "faster" pace. Your story makes total sense. ;)

Given that little piece of info about the story, your trailer seems a lot better to me. You may want to hint at the time frame.

First off the storyline sounds good :) I found the trailer however to have too many still camera shots and angles, dont be afraid to move the camera in or back or around. It will be alot more attractive to the eye when their is some kind of motion with the camera. Other than that, looks good.

/cheers

Back