Super

Looks interesting, can't seem to find a UK release date for it though. It's a shame about the timing really - I bet it would have done much better if Kick-Ass wasn't still so fresh in everybody's minds.

Yeah, I know. It came out the same year too. But I think the one thing it has over Kick-Ass, is that it's basically an art house film. Correction: it IS an art house film. Plus, Ellen Page is in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jywa9oK3ytU

this is a really good band that sort of represents my feelings about the time of the american civil rights movement up until now, that violence is a fading thing, which abstractly, this film sort of does challenge, the need to stay awayfrom the threat of violence. In fact, this movie is actually disturbing in a hyper-intellectual post-modern way.

I bet it would have done much better if Kick-Ass wasn't still so fresh in everybody's minds.

I doubt it. Defendor did alright last year.

Super was pretty bad. There's a fine line between gratuitous violence to make a point and gratuitious violence just for the sake of having it. It also helps to have likeable characters which Super did not. Rape scenes aren't going to help your case either...

I liked Ellen Page though. :rolleyes:

Super was pretty bad. There's a fine line between gratuitous violence to make a point and gratuitious violence just for the sake of having it. It also helps to have likeable characters which Super did not. Rape scenes aren't going to help your case either...

I don't think Defendor even got a UK release, so it can't have done that well.

But I agree that Super didn't seem to get very good reviews and currently holds a 47% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

I don't know though, neither of those movies are likely to come out over here any time soon. They're losing screens to Danny Dyer...

I don't think Defendor even got a UK release, so it can't have done that well.

But I agree that Super didn't seem to get very good reviews and currently holds a 47% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

I don't know though, neither of those movies are likely to come out over here any time soon. They're losing screens to Danny Dyer...

I actually saw it through my cable provider. They had it playing at the local arthouse, but only for about a week...

Since when does every character have to be likeable? :hmm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jywa9oK3ytU

this is a really good band that sort of represents my feelings about the time of the american civil rights movement up until now, that violence is a fading thing, which abstractly, this film sort of does challenge, the need to stay awayfrom the threat of violence. In fact, this movie is actually disturbing in a hyper-intellectual post-modern way.

I love ADF!

Last edited:

Rape scene? I don't remember any rape-scenes (*searches memory). Oh, yeah, that rape scene. Dude, that was hilarious! Remember -- it's not rape, if you enjoy it.
Uhh, please, nobody get offended; you gotta see the scene to realize that it actually is funny. Promise.

I didn't think the violence in "Super" was gratuitous. It's his character -- the dude is off his rockers. Just the kind of crazy-pent-up-rage kind of whacko who might actually put on a superhero outfit and fight crime. Or, at least tell it to shut up.

I really like "Defendor". Fun movie. One thing that many people might not care about, but that I appreciated a lot, is the way that "Defendor", in my opinion, does not make mental illness the butt of the jokes. To give you some context, I don't mind putting it out there that my family has been very severely affected by mental illness, so I don't find it the slightest bit funny, when the mentally ill are made fun of in movies. Really touches a nerve when I see a movie like "Observe & Report" turn bipolar disorder and a manic episode into a joke (in real life, that shit ain't even close to funny).

Anyway, please pardon the personal digression -- my point is that "Defendor" didn't do that. Though nothing is ever clearly defined, it's pretty clear that Woody Harrelson's character definitely has a mental illness, and he's not quite always there, so to say. But the movie doesn't turn that into a joke. The only laughs that come are from the crazy situations he gets into, and the awesome weapons he creates (like a jar full of bees!).

That's my two cents. In my opinion, all of the movies mentioned in this thread are not just worth watching, but are a fun time.

Oh, and one other that's also very cool -- "Special".

Since when does every character have to be likeable? :hmm:

True. But with a movie like this, even if you don't like Wilson's character, you need to be on board with his journey. Not saying this is a hard fast rule for all of story-telling!

I love Rainn Wilson and I like seeing him doing stuff outside of The Office, but I found his character so flat and uninspired in this. I don't wanna get too into it if you haven't seen it, though... **

Rape scene? I don't remember any rape-scenes (*searches memory). Oh, yeah, that rape scene. Dude, that was hilarious! Remember -- it's not rape, if you enjoy it.
Uhh, please, nobody get offended; you gotta see the scene to realize that it actually is funny. Promise.

Yeah, yeah; I know. :P

Ellen Page can be, well, Ellen Page... so I was interested in seeing her try something different in this
(and her untimely demise was just as disappointing as Brad Pitt's character in Burn After Reading)
** ... all I'm saying is there's some really funny moments in this film, but the story itself was sort of meh as was the arc of Wilson's character. I was just left feeling disappointed with this one unlike Kick Ass which I really enjoyed so I wouldn't recommend this as a film to actively seek out.

I watched a sneak peek scene of Super where Rain Wilson was in line at the movies, then bashing the heads in of some couple with a pipe wrench and was completely baffled as to why that would be funny. I mean I'm always a fan of the asshole who cuts in line getting his comeuppance, but a split cranium over it? And then smashing his girlfriend's face? The tone felt way to dark for me and wasn't funny at all -- to me. Then again, I've been over at someone's house at a party while guys watch outtakes of a show like Jack-Ass and they laugh when some dude gets his face bashed in (for real) with a skateboard by some other guy just for the sake of a random act of violence. "Hey, watch this. I'll hit this dude in the face with my skateboard. It'll be a riot!" Really?

I do like the phrase "Shut up, crime!" That's a good one.

True. But with a movie like this, even if you don't like Wilson's character, you need to be on board with his journey. Not saying this is a hard fast rule for all of story-telling!

You don't always "need to be on board" with a characters journey either. You can watch from the sidelines, so to speak, as they go against your moral convictions. Haven't you ever heard of the antihero?

In this case, I wouldn't call Rainn Wilson's character an antihero because he fights with some justifiable cause: "You don't butt in line! You don't steal! You don't molest little children! You don't deal drugs! The rules haven't changed!"

The way he goes about dealing with these "criminals", yes, is a tad violent, but I would never say it was unnecessary for the plot. If you remember, Crimson Bolt starts off by not killing, but kicking crimes ass and telling it to "shut up".
Later on, when he finds his ex-wife being drugged, and gets shot, he then becomes all about getting ruthless revenge on crime.
And that right there, is a pretty interesting character arc, seeing as he starts off as "a man of God" who never fought for anything in his life.

I love Rainn Wilson and I like seeing him doing stuff outside of The Office, but I found his character so flat and uninspired in this.

How the hell is his character "uninspired"? If any thing, he's OVER-inspired, to the point he dresses up and fights crime! You make no sense, sir.

I don't wanna get too into it if you haven't seen it, though... **

No, please, enlighten us.

Of course I've seen it, I'm the one who made the thread. :rolleyes:

(and her untimely demise was just as disappointing as Brad Pitt's character in Burn After Reading)

This conversation is over. You can show yourself out.

Last edited:
Kick Ass is such an amazing movie. I am sure Super is not as cool as Kick Ass but I am willing to rent Super because I liked The Rocker and The Office.

I watched a sneak peek scene of Super where Rain Wilson was in line at the movies, then bashing the heads in of some couple with a pipe wrench and was completely baffled as to why that would be funny. I mean I'm always a fan of the asshole who cuts in line getting his comeuppance, but a split cranium over it? And then smashing his girlfriend's face? The tone felt way to dark for me and wasn't funny at all -- to me. Then again, I've been over at someone's house at a party while guys watch outtakes of a show like Jack-Ass and they laugh when some dude gets his face bashed in (for real) with a skateboard by some other guy just for the sake of a random act of violence. "Hey, watch this. I'll hit this dude in the face with my skateboard. It'll be a riot!" Really?

I do like the phrase "Shut up, crime!" That's a good one.

Well, if you have to explain why something is funny, then it is officially not funny.

To be honest, I don't remember if I laughed when he overreacted to the line-cutter, but if I did, it was probably more of a nervous laughter, something that comes from shock, not so much humor.

Anyway, I do think that particular scene fit in perfectly with the rest of the movie. It is the first time when we see him cross the line. Prior to that scene, he is legitimately a do-good hero. The line-cutting scene is the first time that we really see his Serenity-Now inner-rage boil over, and nothing is the same, from there out.

And, yes, the "Shut up, crime" line is perfect. I laughed every single time he said it.

Of the four movies mentioned in this thread, this one is my least favorite, but I do think it's pretty cool, definitely worth checking out.

Oh, and one other that's also very cool -- "Special".

This.

A rather different take than the other "normal guy becomes super hero" films. Far and away my favorite, and I thought Kick Ass was tons of fun.

Michael Rapaport is nothing short of amazing in that film. It also has a great look.

Back