Suggestions on a budget hypercardioid.

I have been looking to supplement my shotgun with a hyper for interior shooting. I am recoring to a tascam dr-40 and mk-100. Half of my budget is going to purchace one of the 2 recorders and replacing my shock mounts with the rycote invision. I have been shooting super low budget training videos and a few web only projects. Enough to stop renting but not enough to warrant a 800 plus purchase at the moment. I'm not a big fan of lavaliers, so I'm trying to avoid that route. I am aware of the octava, but it seems to have a hit or miss quality. The at4053 has a great following also, but a bit beyond my budget. I have heard recommendations of the avantone ck-1 and at u873r, but there isn't much about them. I'm open to suggestions or other recommendations.

I know you said not a fan of Lavs, but here goes......How bout a an el cheapo lav and a pocket recorder ?? easy peasy BONUS for low budget productions.... no sound person required while shooting, give them something else to do like hold reflector / bounce whatever. Hardly any electrical interference.

I use a $30 AT lav and a $50 Olympus VN8100PC recorder for my stuff & Im happy, of course all the tequila and herbs might be the main reason for my happiness or is it delirium ??

I know a lot of the pro's here say that a Hypercardoid is (most usually) the proper indoor mic and it probably is, the pro audio guys I work with almost always use a high-end shotgun, really nice recorders and a really nie high-end wireless lapel on each of the actors. These are guys that do it for a living.

That said, they're pros, they have great boom technique and know what they're doing. If you're not going to point the mic right (because of inexperience) then you might not do the same.

I agree w/ Paul G ...Be nice to have the cabbage ( $$ ) to get good sound coverage like that. A boom mic ( w/ knowledgeable Op. ) AND good Lavs. Heck even have someone to monitor the sound. That way you are gonna have a good feeling that you got sound covered.

Yeah it's nice to have that luxury, when it's a larger project I have a decent sound guy with his own setup. I am lucky enough to know enough to be dangerous but far from a pro. I know some good self booming techniques and for static shots I use a mic stand with a boom. Unfortunately the last location I used was perfect except there was not enough to absorb the echo and the tile flooring didn't help

Sorry, point of the last wasn't the lapels as much as that they used shotguns outdoors and indoors. I asked the PSM/Boom Op on the last set I was at and he didn't even carry a hypercardoid in the kit.

Again, in a perfect world we'd all have the exact right tool for every single job, but until we're at that place a few compromises are going to be made. As a cinematographer, I'd like to have Canon's new 30-300 cinema lens. Considering most of my budgets, I'm happy with a few photo primes and/or a 24-70 2.8.

The reason for the uneven quality in the Oktava mk0012 mics isn't Oktava; it's poor research and wanting to save a few dollars.

There are only about a half dozen authorized Okatava dealers here in the US (not sure about elsewhere). They guarantee that they are selling authentic RUSSIAN made mk0012 mics. The other mics a CHINESE knock-offs. There are plenty of unscrupulous folks out there who sell the mc0012 as the mk0012 (I think the "k" stands for "Kiev", the "c" stands for "Chinese"), often remarking them.

And, BTW, some folks are dissatisfied even with the real mk0012 mics. They are studio mics that are being used for production sound work. They are prone to handling noise, and the capsule is very susceptible to even the smallest breeze - as when adjusting the aim of the mic from one actor to the other.

The Aventone is okay for what it is - what do you expect for $150? I haven't used it myself, but the scuttlebutt is that it has the same issues as the Oktava, it's a studio mic forced into a production sound role.

The U873R is primarily a handheld interview mic. I have no knowledge or experience regarding its use as a boomed mic. Oh, FYI, it's also a dynamic mic, not a condenser.

@indiebudget
The more I work with radio mics the more I am warming to your method of secreting a recorder on the talent.
As recorders are getting smaller and smaller this is becoming more possible.
In the winter may get away with a my DR-100 tucked round the back of an actor but I need a wired lav.
In reality though you would probably still want a wireless pack to send back monitor feed so your talent is getting close to being a pack horse.

You'll need a really, really loud clapper though.

I have a pair of Avantone CK1s with all three caps. With the hyper cap it really is a nice sounding mic. To my ear it sounds a little less brittle in the 2k-4k range typical with chinese capsules. Handling noise has not been a problem with this mic and with a softie, does well in the wind. That's the good news.

The bad news is without a mixer (or other form of preamp) between the mic and recorder, you may have a difficult time getting levels to -12 when recording softer dialog. But if you can provide the gain needed, it is a very good sounding mic for the price.

Having access to a clean sounding preamp with adequate gain would resolve many of the difficulties we see posted regularly here.

The Aventone is okay for what it is - what do you expect for $150? I haven't used it myself, but the scuttlebutt is that it has the same issues as the Oktava, it's a studio mic forced into a production sound role..

I am warming to your method of secreting a recorder on the talent.

Im thinking of getting some Zoom H1s for this task so I can at least go w/ 96khz 24 bit. The Zooms look better shaped ( and button placement to avoid accidental shutoffs ) for the task over the Tascam

THEN use a bluetooth transmitter w/ bluetooth headphone for monitoring

Last edited:
Back