• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Suggestions for music use in a mini doco

Hi guys,

I'm making a min (3 - 5 min) doco for University assignment due this Monday and I need some music for it. We have a massive collection of copyright free music we can use here at Uni and I've been spending days listening to it but none of it is what I'm looking for.

Can anyone suggest a track or even a type of music I can search for? My requirements are:

A piece for the intro, which is just a montage of different training clips, similar to this, but without the talking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niu0cNjogpo

I want something without vocals, just music, something high energy, possibly with a beat, like a hip-hop beat would suit the style of video well (It's about MMA). Really, Anything at this stage would be better than what I've got.

SO does anything pop up into anyone's mind?

Thanks!

Sometimes you do have to settle - like when you don't want to spend any money, or you are under a tight deadline.

You can try SoundDogs, Incompetech, Musicbakery and Partnersinrhyme.

And there aren't any composition majors at your university who could score something for you? The sample you referenced is fairly simple to do; s/he could knock it out in a day or two.

Thanks Alcove, yeah I think we might have to settle on something. I'll have a look at those sites thanks, it's just like finding a needle in a haystack!

I don't know any composition majors, I could have looked for some but it's too late now, I just thought that this free library would have enough so I kinda forgot about it. Oh well, lesson learnt!

Having done everything from leisurely to frantic...

First - Composer

Second - Directed search for appropriate composed music (from an indie band or a composers library)

Third - Directed search from music libraries

Fourth - Quicky picky (settle for something close; consider it "temp" music)

Using music from a library on your film is like trying to open the door to your house with your car key. Sure, you can bang on it and twist and turn and break you way in... but it never fit to begin with because your car key wasn't made for your front door.

There are plenty of composers who'd love to get their hands on a short film.. They get experience and credit.. You get a custom score designed with your picture's emotional content in focus.

If you do it in school - don't make a habit out of it. If YOU use a free track in your film, I guarantee that many others have as well. How embarrassing would it be to take your new project to a festival and cringe when every director there uses the same free track?

I get it though... Sometimes, budgets and dead lines are less-than-friendly... Just be aware that cheap thinking will give you a cheap product.

Hey guys, thanks for your responses, I lucked out and found a pretty damn decent free rap song creative commons licence that we used...

Lesson learnt = like you guys said, get a composer EARLY on, not that bad for this piece because not many people are going to see it (thank god!)

Thanks again!

Back