Stupid logging of footage.

Before you got that footage you swore you would feed it and walk it and clean up after it and give it baths and brush it and play with it and take care of it! :mad:

-Thanks-

On the bright side, at least you already deleted a bunch of stuff in camera that you were certain you did not want!

:lol:

(at least I think I remember you posting that...)

On the bright side, at least you already deleted a bunch of stuff in camera that you were certain you did not want!

:lol:

(at least I think I remember you posting that...)

Wow. Good memory. Yeah, on my feature, I've been agressively deleting shots I knew I wouldn't use. But we've taken a few day off from production, before we wrap between tomorrow through Wed. My actors are all clowns. No, really. Real clowns. Like, as a profession. Anyway, they had a fairly large (and well-paying) clown gig this weekend.

I was logging footage yesterday for a smaller mini-project. I'm putting together a promotional short for a theater production (produced by one of my leads). I should be done with it today -- I'll post it in the screening room.

Knightly, that's pretty awesome that you have assistant editors. Must be nice. :yes:

We've worked into our workflow as a necessary role so we can hit the edit machine as soon as shooting is done. In a 48, the time saved is essential.

Logging is tedious, but iv learned to love it. it really pays off in the end and makes actual the editing process way smoother. Nothing wrong with familiarizing yourself with the footage you worked hard on.
What software are you using?
Does it have folder options and subfolder options?
I find those really helpful in FCP

EDIT: oh yah, log your shots on paper while shooting
-MS,LS,CU, etc
-TiMECODE!!!!!!
-name
-scene
-good/bad
-other notes you may find necessary.

if your using fcp, you can copy the info from paper onto a spreadsheet, and import the spreadsheet into the browser window. it will create shot files that will be offline, you just have to plug in your camera, use the batch capture tool, and get a snack while the program uses the info you provided to capture everyshot PRELOGGED!!!
if your not using FCP, im not sure if others have similar features, but the paper log will still provide priceless and a valuable time saver. after all, your logging as shots are being shot, pretty efficient..

JUST MAKE SURE TO BLACK YOUR TAPES!
timecode breaks will completely render this process useless. but you should always black tapes anyways. after all, were trying to be professional here, why run into any problems you could've avoided?

Last edited:
KrossCut, that's all very good advice. Thanks for that. However, this is a completely different type of logging. Basically, I'm making a short documentary. It's not possible to log while on the "set". I have to watch it afterwards, and take DETAILED notes of everything that's happening, and a near-verbatim transcript of everything that's said (ideally, it would be perfectly verbatim, but I don't have that kind of time). For these purposes, logging doesn't just make editing smoother -- a proper edit isn't even possible without the logging.

To answer your question, I'm using Sony Vegas. However, I'm not logging the footage in my software, the way you mention, because that wouldn't help me for what I'm going to do with this logged info.

Once I have the transcripts in front of me, I cut out all of the sound-bites that I like. I group the sound-bites together that are related to a similar subject. Then, I arrange the sound-bites in order, to piece together a coherent narrative. I'm basically writing a script, using the sound-bites that I have available to me, and I really need to be able to physically move them around, on little pieces of paper.

I could see a documentary being more difficult to paper log.
I really like your approach of creating a script with sound bytes, very nice!
Well, like i said before. Logging is tedious, but I'm sure you know it'll greatly pay off.
Cant wait to hear the outcome of your project.

Back