• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch STUPID GUY (circling clones)

These can be tricky to do and this is my first one. What I noticed is that characters walking near or away from the greenscreen, needed adjustment on black/white levels, and some other parameters. It was fun to attempt, though.

STUPID GUY (1 minute)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5HOW3Jx2Rjo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5HOW3Jx2Rjo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Dude, this is nice work. But I've gotta tell you there's another way.

I've got a friend who is making a short with a dozen replicates of the same person. When he was still brainstorming the screenplay, I told him flat-out, and authoritatively, that he had no choice but to greenscreen. Yeah, there are other ways to do this, but logistically, you can't pull it off, not on your budget (nothing). A couple weeks later, he shows me some test-footage, and I commenced eating my shoe.

He did it all in After Effects. I really don't know my way around AE, so I can't tell you what he did. It involved rotoscoping. It looked brilliant, and didn't require that much time.

One of many problems with greenscreening is the lighting. Stupid Guy (the character) is lit completely different from the rest of the scene. It looks off. But what if you didn't have to worry about getting good light on that screen? What if you could just light the scene the way it should be done naturally? Plus, greenscreening always has these weird outlines around people's bodies.

I wish I could post a link, but as I stated, it's my friends' video, not mine, so that'd obviously be not cool. But I promise, his test-footage looks great.

Long story short -- After Effects, no greenscreening -- that's the way to go.

He did it all in After Effects. I really don't know my way around AE, so I can't tell you what he did. It involved rotoscoping.

That's the new Rotobrush, in After Effects CS5. Discussed on THIS Thread. Unfortunately, I still have CS2 and will probably be sticking with it, for a while. Can't wait to move up to that version, though.

As for the lighting, it was constant. I had a 500watt softbox on the greenscreen, two scooplights above Stupid Guy and another scoop for fill. The idea was to light Stupid Guy, separately. Of course, my other self is walking in and out of each light setup. It just looked that way.

Thanks! I appreciate your comments and can't wait to use the rotobrush. I use cloning an awful lot, but I usually don't have them cross like that.

If you get a link to your friend's stuff, I'm very interested in seeing it!

Back