Studying Cinematography, London UK

Does anyone know of any good cinematography courses in London? My background is in art and more recently photography, I have good photographic knowledge/experience, but not much in film - I want a course which will teach me about film and digital/HD, part-time, so I can work as well, and that won't cost me an extortionate amount of money. I am also looking for a predominantly practical (rather than academic) course. Any suggestions?

Cheers, Oliver

I did all my research online as I came up with questions from shooting cheesy short films, then a neverending feature film (for learning lots in smaller amounts of time - like a cinematic pressure cooker). Each time you finish a short, pick the worst attribute from it and work on that specifically for the next shoot, figure out each piece of the puzzle until you have the puzzle put together.

It's one of the big 2000 piece puzzles with the same picture on both sides printed 90 degrees rotated from the opposite side...luckily the pieces aren't all the same shape or you'd go slowly insane :)

Don't fret, push forward, but know that a little at a time hands on will go faster than taking classes. The actual courses give you networking opportunities and access to equipment that you'll have to make on your own with out that environment.

Not too hard to make your own group though, just bring up that you're a making films and the "right" people will start to pop out of the crowd and lead you to other "right" people. Mention it everywhere you go.

Stay Excited Always!

There are several people on Indietalk from your side of the pond too, so you might be able to collaborate with some of them.. As Knightly said, learning comes much faster in doing rather than studying, and typically most film courses are more focused on the studying aspect of things.

You might look into the London Film Academy though.. Looks like they offer several seminars for free and low cost throughout the year, and they do have a 6 Saturday or Sunday introductory type of course. Perhaps someone out in your neck of the woods knows better whether it's worthwhile or not though.

London Film Academy is definitely the way to go if you want to stay in London. If you're looking to go the university route, then the only one worth looking at is Bournemouth.

hey man, i been looking around at films schools with good cinematography over here too, well im in ireland, but the national film and television school sounds amazing, got a very specalized cinematography cource too, seems good and very credible, looking at it it seems the president, is lord richard attenborough which is cool,

amazingly cheap as well, bout 7 grand a year (uk pounds :] )

Back