• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

lighting Study of Color

sfoster

Staff Member
Yesssssssssss love this breakdown (link begins 9m30s)

There is a light outside of the window pointing up and to the left.
And then theres blue light on the counter on the left. and more blue light inside of the fridge.

Really great separation here, I love how the window is used to shape the light into a square cast on the left wall
bring more of that orange into a different part of the frame.

Last edited:
Very excited for my coloring books lol
Can't believe i used to do my storyboarding with a black pen!!! never again

from now on i will only storyboard in color!!!!!!

Ya know one of my earliest memories is at five years old asking the genuine question to my friend AJ "can you color between the lines?"
i was serious and wanted to know lol

Anyway i digress... just my luck the first color scene im trying to design has SEVEN people in it. and a birthday party. like damn.
Thats a lot of color to try to make sense of. And I feel compelled to put the hitmen in black and white.
They cant exactly show up in orange and purple right.

I'm thinking instead of a little girls birthday party - its christmas!! now everyone can dress coordinated in red and green.
even though there are five family members its all one color palette. and then the killers show up in blue suits and they stand out and dont fit in.

at the foster home everything goes to a john wick/zion blue

at the very end, we revert back to color scheme as lily reclaims control of her life
lily can be little red riding hood in a green forest dressed in red. thats what the shootout is.
my friends house is all alone in the middle of a forest and they are having a bbq in the front yard.

green and red. amelie color palette it is.

This website (https://color.adobe.com/create/color-wheel) is super cool

Last edited:
I am happy with some of my coloring book results but every time I try to create a teal orange outfit it looks like crap!!
I'm only trying to shoe horn teal-orange in bc its so popular in hollywood.

but I just did a google image search of teal orange outfit and they all look like crap too lmao
i guess its just a lighting thing. my favorite is razzmataz hair and green apple shirt.

Last edited:
Well all that coloring was leading up to this...

I filmed a scene yesterday, this is a screen shot of my work.

It's for a film that I almost finished like 5-6 years ago, it was missing a scene so now I can edit it and complete the film.

Last edited:
Well all that coloring was leading up to this...

I filmed a scene yesterday, this is a screen shot of my work.

It's for a film that I almost finished like 5-6 years ago, it was missing a scene so now I can edited it and complete the film.

I thought I did a pretty good job on that image so I showed it to my parents to demonstrate my photography skills.
Both of them the feedback was "cute" πŸ˜„ πŸ˜„ πŸ˜„ πŸ˜„ πŸ˜„

So completely beside the point if the model is cute or not
I spent so many hours setting up that lighting and production design. No pa, no gaffer.

It's literally a girl sitting in front of the door to my garage. my back was sore by the end of the day for sure bc i put everything in that frame.
There is a wider shot with more stuff.

Last edited:

Truly a bold and beautiful film.
And yet more proof that none of those things can maintain a viewers interest; story comes first.

The story bored me.
Yet my interest in cinematography keeps growing so I have to watch and study.

I would not have considered cutting up color gels and taping them to a light right there in front of the cameras face lol.
It's great.

I love this color combination in my color books but now that I see in IRL ... idk. something is off about the green. or maybe the hair isnt pink enough.

maybe the dress just needs more accent colors. idk.

EDIT: I have a second wig that looked exactly the same online but hey! its more pink. cool i have options.
This looks much better standing up and taken with my real camera instead of the cell phone

I can sorta see a lil razzle dazzle elf if i cross my eyes and it gets all blurry haha. It’s amazing how much I hate this green and yet it’s so close to apple green that I love. Man it’s hard AF to translate pigment from imagination and crayon into real life

Last edited:
Yesssssssssss love this breakdown (link begins 9m30s)

There is a light outside of the window pointing up and to the left.
And then theres blue light on the counter on the left. and more blue light inside of the fridge.

Really great separation here, I love how the window is used to shape the light into a square cast on the left wall
bring more of that orange into a different part of the frame.
Very cool! Thx for sharing.

Back