Studio Guy learning about the indie world!

Started off in 2006 as the 1st assistant to Gary Ross (Seabiscuit/Pleasantville), left to start my own production company in 2008, I'm currently attached to executive produce BLOOD KING at Mandalay Pictures & the Broadway adaptation of THE FLINTSTONES for Warner Bros. As a twenty-something in the studio world, it's easy to get consumed by all the demands of the business side of filmmaking. But here, I'm hoping to stay in-the-loop, keep perspective, and meet fellow filmmakers who just dig telling great stories!

Peace...

Chris Herzberger

Welcome Chris. There's a great cross section of experience levels here. Nice to have someone from the studio system here. You might be able to help keep up realistic.

Sad to say the "indie" side of filmmaking is temporarily out of vogue. Like all things in popular culture, trends come and go, then repeat. The early 1990's indie film boom and the Sundance dream of being an indie movie with no budget, no name stars getting theatrical distribution and development deal have died horrible deaths of late. All the indie studios have either been folded up, died, or melded with the major distributors that already bought them years ago.

The indie thing will come back, but no one can ever predict when or where or how.

Welcome to the truly independent and beginnings of the desktop revolution.

The indie thing will come back, but no one can ever predict when or where or how.

Whenever an indie becomes a blockbuster, it starts a whole new wave of inspiration and hope.

BTW, Sonnyboo's HORRORS OF WAR had a pretty wide DTV release. I've had the pleasure of meeting Sonnyboo (Ross) a couple of times - 2007 in Wisconsin and at the Las Vegas IndieMeet, in 2006.

Anyway, welcome Chris! Always good to have industry folks around, like you and directorrik.

Welcome to the indie side of the biz where it's now a buyers market. So we have to make great films with very little money in order to hopefully pay back our investors.

Back