Starting with a feature

After spending the large majority of my teenage years jumping between various artistic mediums and exposing myself to as much art as I could I came to the realization about 8 months ago that if I was going to pursue a career in the arts I'd want it to be film, and I'd like to be a writer/director. I feel like it's a medium where I can combine all my various talent, where I can really say something meaningful and (hopefully) have it be recognized by others.

Anyways, jump forward a while and I started writing a script for a short film. I had an idea I was satisfied with that I felt conveyed a certain experience I feel is important and I was feeling confident in it. As I went I added more and more onto it as I started to develop new ideas and fully realize each of my characters. So I kept working on it for about 6 months and eventually I'd written enough for it that if I made it it would be the size of a feature length.

I know this is a story I want to tell. I've gotten very very positive responses from everyone I've showed it to. If I don't make this film right now I will one day, I'm sure of it, but my question really is: how badly would I be shooting myself in the foot if my first major project was a feature length? I don't have too much experience with directing outside of various shorts I've done for digital media classes in school throughout the years and voice actor directing for a previous project. I've done some stop motion shorts too, but I really haven't done any serious work when it comes to live action stuff. I'm aware almost no one jumps right into making a feature length, but I feel like I could really make this film well and I made sure to write the screenplay within the constraints of what I could manage.

Should I just go for it? Should I hold off until I have some more serious short films under my belt so I have more experience? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it's definitely made me consider a lot more. I'm still not certain on what I'll do, but I at least have a much better idea of what I'm trying to step into.

Also, for the record I really don't care about money/views/etc. I mean obviously that sort of stuff would be really awesome to get but I've been putting artistic work out on the internet for years now with little to no attention aside from a select few projects and I'm fine with that because I enjoy making them so much

When I started my own business, everyone told me my idea was ridiculous and it wasn't going to work. No way. People a lot more experienced than me. I started it, made some money and then everyone turned around and said 'I knew you were going to be successful... :roll eyes:'

So I say... go with what your heart tells you. You can hire a DoP who can get the visuals, a sound guy who can record beautifully, a musician who will compose something amazing etc... When I started my little biz, that's exactly what I did.

So just go for it - what do you have to lose? If it works, you'll be a success. If it doesn't, you'll have learned what you need to do to be successful.

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=58971

Last edited:
Oh bloody hell, just get on with it! All this analysis! Are you a filmmaker or an eternal student?

You will learn sooooo much from making a feature and what's really important is that no one will put money into someone who's never done it before.

Shorts are not a good way of proving you can make a feature. Most, most and I do mean most commercial directors couldn't make a feature (Ridley Scott being the obvious exception) but I think such directors had features burning in their blood and only made commercials to get by.

Make a few very simple shorts, single scenes sort of thing to give yourself an idea of how you want to film scenes (features are made up of scenes after all) then film a simple feature, prob best one set in only a single room if poss, and remember, remember, remember this is not going to be your last feature the next will be better.

www.shootfilmsnow.com

I came to the realization about 8 months ago that if I was going to pursue a career in the arts I'd want it to be film, and I'd like to be a writer/director. I feel like it's a medium where I can combine all my various talent, where I can really say something meaningful and (hopefully) have it be recognized by others. ... I know this is a story I want to tell.

Also, for the record I really don't care about money/views/etc.

To be fair, this attitude/approach is not at all uncommon amongst amateur/indie filmmakers but nevertheless, your statements are completely contradictory!

1. How can you have a career in anything if you don't care about money? If you don't care about the commercial value of your films, how are you going to pay for all the time and money they cost to make and turn your filmmaking into an actual career rather than a hobby?

2. By definition, telling a story requires not just a storyteller but people to tell the story to. If you are not interested in paying audiences or "views", how are you going to have your films "recognised by others"? To whom do you "want to tell" your story?

3. Unless you care about money and your audience/s, why would potential investors want to fund your films?

I mean obviously that sort of stuff would be really awesome to get but I've been putting artistic work out on the internet for years now with little to no attention aside from a select few projects and I'm fine with that because I enjoy making them so much

There are many who proclaim a desire to be a professional writer and/or director but in reality that's not what they really want. What they really want is to make hobbyist films for their own enjoyment AND get paid for it. In reality of course, there is no market for hobbyist films and therefore no way to get paid for making them! There are a handful of exceptions to this rule but it's just a handful out of the million or so indie films made over the last 25 years. So what you basically seem to be saying is that you want to make hobbyist films (for yourself) and trust to essentially a miracle that your hobbyist film/s will compete with and get noticed amongst all the films being made by those who are really serious about being professional/commercial writers and/or directors?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a hobbyist, even a serious hobbyist with dreams but if you're actually serious about turning those dreams into reality then your only realistic chance is to develop a professional/commercial approach to making films!

G

Oh bloody hell, just get on with it! All this analysis! Are you a filmmaker or an eternal student?

You will learn sooooo much from making a feature and what's really important is that no one will put money into someone who's never done it before.

Shorts are not a good way of proving you can make a feature....

Yes! Make stuff.

And no, short is no proof you make a good feature, but it will teach you a lot about the process, turn your talents ito skills, help build a crew/cast for the feature (or at least know how to communicate with cast and crew) and you'll find your own voice as a storyteller and style as a filmmaker. And it does proof you are someone who does finish a project and knows what you're getting into.

You will also learn a lot from sailing across the atlantic if you never have sailed before, but the stakes are bit lower in the local lake, while you probably make the same mistakes to begin with.

Back