Starting Out, Need Some Advice

So I'm relatively new to film making and wanted to get some advice on how to really start out. I've done a couple films in high school (only 2 years of film study courses which gave me some very basic knowledge of film making and genres) one I directed and one that I wrote/edited. Basically, these are the questions I have:

1. What kind of camera should I be looking for. I'm not trying to spend a ton of money right out of the gate, something around $200 - $500 would be realistic for me.

2. Are there any general tips you guys can give me on scheduling shootings and coordinating with actors ? Right now I'm a full-time college student at George Mason University so I would have to plan to shoot around classes and work.

3. As for editing software, what would you guys recommend? I prefer to work on windows and I've heard some not-too-nice things about the new version of Final Cut.

4. Ultimately, I'd like to do a web series that focuses on a post-apocalyptic world (like the S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl universe mixed with Fallout). Would this be something I could work on starting out or should I shelve it until I have more experience?

5. Just any other general tips you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Your goals are great, that is a great start to have goals.

My suggestion would be to jump right into it. There is no way to learn faster then making mistakes along the way and correcting them. Then once you feel you have your talents down, you can start hiring a crew to do certain jobs, because trying to do everything yourself will effect your projects in a negative way.

The new FCP sticks, that doesnt mean the versions before do. ;)

As far as your webseries, If you dont mind loosing money I would hold off until you learn the basics.

Let me know in more and I can assist with anything you want

Welcome aboard. Most beginners put too little thoughts into sound and the quality suffers just wanted to get that out there first. There are plenty of used or even reconditioned camcorders out there in your price range Adorama & B&H has some deals on used eqt, many are factory reconditioned might want to look there. You need a cam that has maual controls and I would suggest recording sound separately using an external recorder and synch in post. Canon HV30 comes to mind. Im using a Canon SX20IS, it shoots 1280x720 30, but im an odball, however it works for me.

Lightworks is a free and open source video editor that has done some big movies, its FREE might want to look into that .

Start small and work your way up, you will know when you are ready for the next step << I did not listen to that advice myself so now Im backtracking.

GOOD LUCK !

4. Ultimately, I'd like to do a web series that focuses on a post-apocalyptic world (like the S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl universe mixed with Fallout). Would this be something I could work on starting out or should I shelve it until I have more experience?

SHTAAAALKEERR! Get over here!

You heard about GSC shutting down, right? No more STALKER :grumpy:

This is actually a pet project that I've been meaning to work on.. would be very interested in seeing what your take on it is.

My suggestion, however, is to get some practice and confidence before doing anything too impossible to achieve! It also means that you're not changing your style halfway through a web series etc - you'll need to have a strong userbase from the start if you want to be successful and they'll certainly notice the difference!

1. In your price-range, I'd recommend a used miniDV camcorder. You can get a decent one for a couple hundred bucks. You should make sure that you have manual-focus, manual-exposure, and an external audio input. If you can get one with a focus-ring, that's a major bonus. Beyond that, they're basically all the same.

You might be tempted to go with some cheap HD flip-cam. But if you do that, you won't have any control over the image you're recording. You might as well just shoot video off your phone.

2. Nah, that's up to you, dude. Just be enthusiastic and persistent. Positive energy is contagious, so spread it around. Do whatever you can to get people excited about your project.

3. Try a trial version of the lesser-expensive Sony Vegas. I think it's something like 60 bucks, and it's solid.

4. Do it! Do whatever really sparks your interest.

5. Research technique, diligently. Much good info here, as well as the rest of the internet. Always wipe, and stay off the pipe.

P.S. GO RAMS!!!

On the miniDV side, I started off with the HV20. You should be able to pick one up for a very very good price.

I think I have an HV40 lying around that I'd be happy to get rid of for a song, but it's a PAL version so i'm not sure if that'd be the best option =P

+1 for Sony Vegas.

You don't sound like you're quite ready yet to make a feature film for festivals or possible DVD distribution, therefore, don't sweat the camera decision that much. Focus on learning good lighting techniques, staging, editing, directing the actors, and most importantly, good storytelling. You can do that with just about any camera, but the suggestion above to go with miniDV that has manual focus and exposure is a good one.

When scheduling a shooting session, the first thing is to decide how much script you want to shoot, and how much time you think it will take. Then, cut the script in half and double the original time estimate. It will take that long. Be prepared for delays, don't be discouraged by them.

If you are on NO budget, you should at least provide food for the crew.

Hi Dekabal,

Here’s my thoughts-
1. I’d say you should look at the Canon 550D, you can buy extra lenses for it when you get more money.
2. My best advice for shooting on a low- no budget set is – feed people a warm meal if you’re shooting for over 6 hrs. , and make sure there is plenty of coffee and tea on set . Well-fed crew = happy crew.
3. I use Adobe Premier pro CS5 
4. Start straight away. It’s a web series you can get better as the series goes on. Jumping into the deep end is the best way of learning.
5. Work on other film-makers sets for hands on experience (you can find low – no budget film sets and jobs on www.mandy.com. Watch as many films as you can – world cinema, silent films, and art house – educate yourself in the history of film-making. Read books like the Guerilla film-makers handbook. Basically emerge yourself into the film-making world!
Feel free to ask any more questions,
Amy

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=37249

I'd argue for an SD card camera rather than tape.
Key search camera factors are:
- Manual Focus
- 720p at a minimum, preferably 1080p
- Also note the CMOS sensor size. At that price range 1/3" is easy, 1/2" if you're lucky, 4/3 if you get a GH2.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/16/engadget-primed-why-your-cameras-sensor-size-matters/

Also, you're going to want to consider what computer system specs for the NLE you have.
And I puck up a basic video editor like Adobe photoshop elements 10 + premiere elements 10 bundled.

GL.

Last edited:
Back