• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Starting Off This Screenplay?

I'm wondering how I'd start this screenplay.
The premise is simply a man arguing with his reflection as he goes down into the dark parts of his mind. It will all take place in one room, anything that happens, which will largely be flashbacks and elements of his past, will take place in the room he is in, they will walk in, play their part and walk out.
I just don't know how to start it.
Ideas?

I quite like the idea of showing the room.
For me, one of the main themes of my short is voyeurism, which is a very appealing concept (not in a sexual way or anything haha). So I was thinking of almost doing it like a tracking shot of the room, holding the camera (I'll be using a camcorder) and walking around the room.

When you have a story, you "start" the screenplay.

What's the story? Where's the conflict? Who's trying to do what? Is this the best way to tell it? Does it get away from the cliche initial setup?

A guy talking to himself isn't a story. It's an incident. A scene. Where is this thing going? What's the unique element that elevates this into something greater than the sum of its parts?

When you have a story, you "start" the screenplay.

What's the story? Where's the conflict? Who's trying to do what? Is this the best way to tell it? Does it get away from the cliche initial setup?

A guy talking to himself isn't a story. It's an incident. A scene. Where is this thing going? What's the unique element that elevates this into something greater than the sum of its parts?

Well I guess the story is the conversation developing as he descends into the dark parts of his subconscious and his last revists him in the room.
So, I need a way to start that.

It could start with him pacing or sitting in a chair talking to himself. Then he catches a glimpse of himself in a mirror and and starts arguing with his image. It then progresses to his inner mind and goes on from there.

It could start with him pacing or sitting in a chair talking to himself. Then he catches a glimpse of himself in a mirror and and starts arguing with his image. It then progresses to his inner mind and goes on from there.

I like that idea (:
Although I think there needs to be something leading up to the conversation with the reflection, although I'm quite sure what would be.. :huh:

Balloons floating in the air, french music, Eiffel Tower, more ballons, everyone smoking, a slow pan thru a 3 mile traffic jam horns honking, more damn balloons, a monkey flinging poo at the balloons

if that does not work get a super hot blonde in her birthday suit laying out, smoking, talking about.. balloons

Ok, Im out of ideas. sorry been watching French movies lately. they do have some different ways to start movies.

I like that idea (:
Although I think there needs to be something leading up to the conversation with the reflection, although I'm quite sure what would be.. :huh:
He could drop something, stumble, hear something from outside (a bird flies into the glass window, a siren, a fight, kids playing ball, a jet plane, yada yada yada...). The tv or radio could trigger a flashback. Then him talking to himself before he sees the reflection would be the "lead up to" that you need before he sees his reflection and the conversation becomes more intense or confrontational.

Is it a past or present version of himself that he sees in the mirror?

Does the mirror act as a virtual movie screen where he sees these flashbacks play out or do they just play out in his head?

I think that there are endless possibilities once you start to ask the standard question... "what if?"

Last edited:
The reflection is not past or future in particular, the reflection is the other side of him, the part that remembers the past. So that's the part of him that tells him about the past as it forms in the room around him.
If that makes sense?

Why is he looking in the mirror to be in a position to start arguing with his reflection. Sure sounds like the beginning to me. Is he shaving, brushing his teeth, just smoked crack, just jerked off, is tweezing his eyebrows, just took a shit and is washing his hands...

"Balloons floating in the air, french music, Eiffel Tower, more ballons, everyone smoking, a slow pan thru a 3 mile traffic jam horns honking, more damn balloons, a monkey flinging poo at the balloons"

I start ALL my movies that way.

he receives a phone call informing him hes fired/dumped/killed someone in a car accident they didnt make it in hospital, he thinks fuck and looks into the mirror, and the reflection says you know its not the first time, and then youre off.just an example there is millions of ways.

Watch 25th Hour

If you watch the Spike Lee movie 25th hour or if you just go to youtube and tye in 25th hour bathroom rant where edward norton basically goes on a 5 minute rant about all his racist thoughts and hatred for the city of new york it is fantastic, this takes place with him just in a bathroom, staring into the mirror, the best scene, i have put up a link as well, this should help your questionhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXtDVov2drk

Back