Starting a Video Production Business

Hey guys, I am still in high school but it's nearing the time I start thinking about my career. I live in Arkansas, will probably go to college in Arkansas, and want to live in Arkansas the rest of my life. So I was thinking about video career opportunities. I am interning at a place that produces television shows like Bassmaster and sells them to ESPN. However, I'm not too interested in TV production, but more on video kind of stuff. But my question is... What kind of video stuff could I make a career out of? I would love to own my own production business, but I'm not sure what all I would do. If anyone has any experience in this area at all I would really appreciate some advice! Thank you so much!

-Tanner

Also, if anyone knows (even though it's rude to ask), what are the different salaries for occupations such as editor/writer/business owner or whatever else there is. Thanks!

Hey guys, I am still in high school but it's nearing the time I start thinking about my career. I live in Arkansas, will probably go to college in Arkansas, and want to live in Arkansas the rest of my life. So I was thinking about video career opportunities. I am interning at a place that produces television shows like Bassmaster and sells them to ESPN. However, I'm not too interested in TV production, but more on video kind of stuff. But my question is... What kind of video stuff could I make a career out of? I would love to own my own production business, but I'm not sure what all I would do. If anyone has any experience in this area at all I would really appreciate some advice! Thank you so much!

-Tanner

Also, if anyone knows (even though it's rude to ask), what are the different salaries for occupations such as editor/writer/business owner or whatever else there is. Thanks!

you can do weddings, all special events, local music videos, If you get well known maby even famous peoples music videos, Short films, Feature length films. Theirs tons you can do!

For the most part a business, despite the fact that you are doing something that you enjoy, means that you do not limit yourself. You may not want to do TV production work, but if it pays the bills you should do it.

My first love is narrative work, especially feature length projects. But in my audio post studio I do dozens of really crappy shorts every year; after a while it can be quite frustrating. I don't really enjoy editing sound files and embedding meta-data, but I do it for a much larger facility. Most of the singer/songwriter types that I record are pretty talentless, when at one point in my life I performed and worked with world-class musicians and producers. But I have bills to pay - upgrading software and equipment, basic maintenance, marketing, a website, etc. Then, of course, there is business insurance, water, electricity and phone/internet. On top of that is my personal life and its associated expenses - my mortgage, car, various types of insurance, two daughters, retirement... The list goes on and on. All of those "un-fun" jobs keep my studio running so I am prepared when the fun stuff comes in - and keeps my chops sharp.

Business is business; you'll have all kinds of paper work - contracts, state, federal and local taxes, insurance, finance, etc. And, especially when you are starting out, you'll need an attorney and an accountant. If you grow enough you'll also have employees which adds one more layer to your management responsibilities. And the more successful you become the more time you'll spend on the management stuff, so your day just got longer. After a while you sometimes wonder where you fit into your own business as you spend more time managing and less time doing what you started out to do.

So think it through. I recommend that you work for someone else for a while. You've already got your internship; try to parlay that into a paying job to gain experience and expand your contacts. If nothing else you will build your bank account and resume.

Being a writer is very competitive. Expect low pay for years until you establish yourself, even then, you won't be rolling in dough unless you get very very lucky.

Editors may make somewhat more down the road, however, you're no longer creating stuff.

The sky is the limit for business owners, but remember most new businesses fail that first year, and expect to put 60-70 hours a week in until your business takes off.

Good luck.

What kind of video stuff could I make a career out of?
Local TV commercials and a few weddings. That's probably about 90% of the video business where you're at. It's a lot of investment in equipment just to get started. Then your expensive equipment and software is constantly becoming antiquated. Don't jump in unless there is a demand for such a business. Is some other business doing the same thing nearby?

Here's a suggestion on something. A documentary about the Arkansas Diamond Fields. That's right, I know the local secret. Or the lady at the broadcast convention said it was a secret. Did you know that Arkansas state pin for 2010-2011 fiscal year has a diamond on it? Great subject! If you live out there!

Back