Started Production Finally

We finally started production on our film Brackish and I thought I'd share with you some of our experiences with pre-production and the first day of filming, just to see if other film companies have had the same problems. I'm sure you all have though, but hearing from you would make me feel better.

Our major problem was locations. We did manage to secure insurance, but many owners still would not let us film on their properties because their lawyers advised them not to. I think this is mostly because the lawyers around here don't understand what is going on well enough, and since we aren't paying them anything, that they don't want to be bothered with taking the time to understand it.

So the locations we did find were last minute and one was on state land. We picked a lake up in the Adirondacks to shoot a swimming scene at, we went there previously and looked at it. On the surface it is gorgeous, but we should have gotten in the water. Debris had fallen in the water around the edges and began to decompose, so when the cast tried to go swimming a horrendous stench arose from the water and the girls in the cast were like, uh no. So now we have to find a new lake.

All in all I think the first day of filming was very successful. The actors, despite not being paid, were really serious and everybody had a really good time, despite the lake problem. Here are some pics from the first day, there's lots of weird and crazy photos in there but you'll enjoy it I'm sure.

Pics of first day

Hey,

Just checking out your site... Brackish looks like it was already a short... Are you revisiting the character that strangled the girl?

The same sort of theme is being addressed. "Little Brackish" as I now refer to it was supposed to explore how a man deals with what he had just done. He sits there after the act, and takes it all in. He uses the lighter to center his thoughts around what happened. In Brackish the main character's fiance dies, but this is not the event of Brackish. His feeling of loss brings him to do something he normally would not do, it makes him take a brief turn towards the occult. He spends the rest of the movie trying to deal with what he has just done, as he watches all of his friends die one by one for his selfish reasons.

As a side note, the man in Little Brackish is actually the Director of Brackish, and the girl is now the Art Director.

Back