Special Effects Gag Gift

Let me give you a little background on the reason for my creating this...

My Aunt has a reputation for using far too much tape when wrapping gifts. So invariably every year for the past 10 or so years someone takes it upon them self to make at least one of her gifts difficult to open.

Past attempts have been clear coating an entire gift with packing tape, and things along those lines. To date my brother holds the record having not only done the clear packing tape trick, but also covering the entire box under the wrapping paper with a roll and a half of duct tape.

I decided that this year it's my turn. First I wrapped her gift, and covered every seam in the paper with tape, then put that into a backpack that I used a padlock to lock shut. on the outside of the bag I put a card with the following inscription:

"Thanks to a trait of thine own repute
Entry to this crate is your next pursuit
The bag itself isn't your gift
Merely a vessel devised in thrift
Because sometimes tape isn't enough
Getting inside may prove to be rough
Upon closer examination you will see
This gifts' complication is a lock without key"

(turns out I'm a bit of a poet.. hehe)

Then I put this into another box, taped it shut, wrapped that, and again taped over every seam in the paper.

She'll receive this gift, be a little flustered about how to go about opening it, and then be presented with a second gift (which I intentionally am making easy to open.. just a shoebox with the bottom and lid wrapped separately)

For the contents of this second gift, (which holds the key to the lock) I took a page from Jim (or Tim in the UK version) of the office..

2127445687_4b3e87edaa.jpg

It's a bit of a hybrid between a normal jello recipe and gelatin recipe used for effects.

And oh yes.. the gift inside the gelatin is totally covered in a thick layer of clear tape. :D

Happy Hollidays everybody!

The other thing that's funny about this is it relates back to another humorous family thing.. Used to be any time we were camping, or just my aunt and uncle were camping there would always be a photo of her sitting at the picnic table eating. Just her. Presumably it came about because when just the two of them were camping he'd snap a shot of her -- not because she was eating, but just 'cuz.. anyway, my dad, being her older brother must have decided it would be funny to perpetuate that, and he made sure he'd get photos of her eating.. anyway. Since this is sort of a food item... it relates to that in a way.

ANYWAY... Since I made it more like how you would make a gelatin prosthetic than how you make jello it should be fun watching her try to dig the package out of the middle. It's fairly resilient gelatin. :lol:

Back