• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Spartacus FX

I have noticed that a lot of the visual effects on the Starz series Spartacus seem to be somewhat (for want of a better term) cheap-looking. You can clearly see in some instances the editing flaws done in this series. However, I would assume it is a great way to do those kinds of effects on a budget. And the scenery and style of many of the shots looks great (much of which was also done in post I presume).

I was wondering, if anyone has scene the show, how difficult are those effects to accomplish with something like After Effects?

Looks pretty similar to Atilla
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUT10dZY5OI

All the VFX for Atilla were done with After Effects, FXPHD had a course a few years back from Gareth Edwards, the guy responsible for the show (and all the VFX)

Here's an article about it that covers a tiny piece of the information was in covered the fxphd course: http://www.fxguide.com/featured/one_man_against_attila_the_hun/

Edit: Looks like they do still have that course.. AFX301. http://www.fxphd.com/fxphd/courseInfo.php

Last edited:
Gareth used AfterEffects & 3D Studio Max.
In order to do these kinds of shots all yourself, you need to be a competent 'generalist'. A generalist knows enough about all the steps in the VFX pipeline to do them on his own; basically a one-man-band. This requires more base knowledge than your typical CG artist, so you have your work cut out for yourself.

Knowledge aside, I must point out Gareth's skill as a VFX artist pales in comparison to his ability to plan and execute what appears to be a very sensible, self-directed (literally), approach to the project. It's hard to leave all those shots looking so unfinished, but in order to final two shots a day (!) you need to make compromises. It's a major accomplishment.

So the take away is not whether it's difficult to do these shots in AfterEffects, it's how do you plan and execute these kinds of shots so they aren't harder to do in AfterEffects.

I'm assuming you have no VFX experience. If you wish to start learning how to create these kinds of shots, your first task is to learn & master the rules of linear perspective. Next, learn how to seamlessly composite two still photographs together (in Photoshop or AfterEffects).

Last edited:
Having done a few 'semesters' of FXPHD, I cannot speak highly enough about the quality of their courses. Gareth's in particular was really quite good.

The cost seems a bit high at first glance.. ~$300/semester, but for that you get like 10hrs of instruction in each of 3 different classes, plus the couple of 'required' courses, which are basically just catch all type things where they talk about various projects and stuff... If you're interested in learning some new vfx techniques, skills, etc.. it's worth the investment in my opinion. Also, for many of the courses, like the ones for massive, nuke, etc, you get access to the software via vpn during the course.. so it's relatively inexpensive hands-on training that would otherwise be pretty hard to come by.

Aside from being a satisfied student of fxphd, I've no affiliation with them, so I'm not trying to drum up business for them in any way, but if you were to ask my opinion of whether it is worth it or not... yes, it is.

I watched the spartacus trailer, and it reminded me of attila. Point being, yes similar effects can be done with after effects and a handful of other tools. How easy or difficult it is depends on several factors. How it's shot, how good the person doing the work is, etc...

Back