• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Sound

I WOULD like a seperate recording system for my diologue while filming. I'm on a limited budget. Any suggestions? or links.:huh:

Three questions

1) What format are you shooting on? If it's film and you're looking for a cheap sound recording system mini-disc is good, but has a high level of compression.

2) Why do you want to record the sound separately? Sound recording on mini-dv is excellent, right up there with recording on dat, so you'd need a really good reason to separate out the sound (only to have to resync it later, which adds to your post production time and headaches)

3) On set or on location? (It's just that in studio you might as well stick the sound straight into a hardrive, on location that's more complicated.

Does your camera have an audio in input?

Basically your problem isn't what you record onto it's a mic problem. If you can put an external mic into your camera, you have no problems, all you need is a sound guy/girl with their own mic, mixer and a boom pole. Good boom work is the key to clear dialogue recording.

If your camera has got no audio input (on board mic only), then you've got some choices - go with your camera, find a mini disc and put the output of your boom mic into that, or spend the money you would have spent on a mini-disc player to hire a better camera, preferably one with XLR inputs. You'll still need a sound person to do the boom for you.

If you need to spend next to no money then you might need to build your own boom, there is another thread kicking around the forum where that's explained, do a search under "boom" and see if you can find it.

The thing that is going to be the biggest factor in getting clear sound is going to be your mic and how you place it. There are no good "cheap" mic options, so you'll need to borrow one or possibly hire. However, I'm sure you'll find someone on the forum who got or made a professional mic for $2.50, it's just outside my experience.

Good luck.

Back