Sound recordist question

Hey,

So I am thinking of hiring a sound recordist pretty soon for my short film production, but I have some questions that I need to clear in my mind. This is my first production and it's a small film. There is no blood, no zombies. Just a drama about regular teenagers. So I would say the scale of the project won't be that big and it won't be that complicated. Anyway, here are my questions.

1. I was reading in some book that a sound recordist can also do the job of a boom operator on the location. I was wondering how true is that? Even if one can, do you advice to hire separate person for boom?

2. As it's my first production and budget is tight, I won't have that much money. But I still want to pay the person for the job and not just ask him to do it for free. So what can be the good price for a short film project? I won't go for an experienced recordist, for we would be operating at a different level. I'll be looking for someone who is young and probably has more than a year of experience. So yeah, what would be a good salary for such person?

Thanks in advance!

Many production sound mixers start out as one-man sound "teams". A fair price for someone who mixes & booms and has a "small" to "medium" sized kit and experience is $150 to $300 per day plus overtime. In this economic day and age many charge a very reduced rental fee on their equipment, if any fee at all.

If you add a boom op it's another $100 to $200 per day plus overtime.

Multiply by two or three for pay and full pop for the equipment rentals for "Hollywood" level budgets.

Back