Sound recording

Hi guys,

Just a quick question, does anyone know of a digital recorder that has xlr inputs? I'm talking similar to a zoom h4n but ideally something cheaper!

the problem is i don't want to spend loads on a h4n when all i need it for is actually recording the audio from an external mic. eventually the mic will go through a mixer first and then into a recorder, such as an sqn mixer.

so long story short I'm looking for the cheapest digital recorder with xlr inputs haha.

or if anyone has any experience with other ways of recording audio then by all means fill me in!

cheers

Thom.

At around the same price point is the Tascam DR-100mkII ($290). There are a few new original DR-100s floating around for less than the mkIIs, and a fair number of used DR-100s around.

The Tascam DR-40 ($190) is another alternative, but no manual volume controls.

ahh the dr-40 was an option i had considered hadn't realised it had no manual volume, by any chance do you know how the volume works on them? does it just record at line level or is it automatic?

there always seems to be a drawback with the cheaper options :(

At around the same price point is the Tascam DR-100mkII ($290). There are a few new original DR-100s floating around for less than the mkIIs, and a fair number of used DR-100s around.

The Tascam DR-40 ($190) is another alternative, but no manual volume controls.

can you explain by it has no manual volume? i have the DR-40 and i thought that the latest update allowed this unless your going on about something different :S

i have the DR-40 and i thought that the latest update allowed this unless your going on about something different
do you know how the volume works on them?

The DR-40 has Up/Down buttons that control both channels simultaneously, and are not very convenient for real-time usage. The DR-100 has dials that control the channels individually, although one is inside the other.

The DR-40 would actually be a pretty good audio recorder when used in conjunction with a quality mixer like the Sound Devices MixPre-D or 302.

Last edited:
The DR-40 has Up/Down buttons that control both channels simultaneously, and are not very convenient for real-time usage. The DR-100 has dials that control the channels individually, although one is inside the other.

The DR-40 would actually be a pretty good audio recorder when used in conjunction with a quality mixer like the Sound Devices MixPre-D or 302.

if im understanding you right... the dr-40 has a mixer, so you can record different sound levels on both inputs and record at the same time? while controlling both?

http://nofilmschool.com/2012/03/tascam-dr-40-audio-recorder-update-competes/

But not in real time. Yes, you can set different levels, but you need to access the menu to change the separate volumes, VERY difficult to do on the fly, especially of you're the boom-op, as is the case with most folks using the DR-40. That is if the person swinging the boom knows anything about audio to begin with.

Back