Sound Recording tips

So if I were on a budget of less than $100 for audio, I need to know a few things.
What are the best ways to record sound, equipment wise. Clip on, Boom mic, etc.
What method should I use, and what affordable mics should I get?

$100 won't even get you started.

You can being by reading my blog:

http://www.myspace.com/alcoveaudio/blog

and continue with my numerous posts here on IndieTalk.

You can also get the book "The Sound Effects Bible" by Ric Viers; he covers a lot of the basics about mics, recorders and techniques.

For about $175 you can get the Rode VideoMic with a boom-pole; that's about as low as you can go and get passable sound. Just keep in mind that technique is extremely important, and is more important the more "low tech" you go. If you are using a DSLR camera you will need to defeat the AGC.

Some DSLR dont suffer from AGC. I have a T3i and I never had that probelm. Plus if u get the a DSLR (T2i/5D) sometimes you can hack them or get adaptor that removes that hissing sound. And the adators are like 20 bucks. But def go with a good mic, I keep hearing the Rode Videomic is the standard, nothin less or youll regret it

Forget anything branded. Look on ebay for something Chinese. It's hit or miss. You might get lucky.
Oktavas were cheap a few years ago, then people found out how good they are, now they're not as cheap.

It depends on what type of filming you are planning to do. If it has much movement in it, you will need some sort of boom pole and shotgun mic. If you are just doing interviews, you can often get away with a digital audio recorder. The prior is going to cost you more than $100 for anything that is worth the money being spent. The latter can be accomplished passably with the on-board mic of an H1, which can be found new for ~$100 or used for ~$70.

Obviously $100 is not ideal. Even in the best of situations, the H1 is still going to lack the quality of higher priced mics. That being said, if you are currently working with the camera mic, almost anything will be a vast improvement.

Some DSLR dont suffer from AGC. I have a T3i and I never had that probelm. Plus if u get the a DSLR (T2i/5D) sometimes you can hack them or get adaptor that removes that hissing sound. And the adators are like 20 bucks. But def go with a good mic, I keep hearing the Rode Videomic is the standard, nothin less or youll regret it

I have a T3i and I do have that problem :/ what settings do you use to get rid of it, or at least minimise it?

Found a place that will let you rent for a 3 day weekend. Got a boom sennheiser me66/k6 (with a softie) and xlr's for $25 bucks. Not a bad get. Next challenge would be to get something to record the sound to...

Back