Sound Recording Setup

I currently have a RODE NTG2 which I record directly into my Panasonic GH2 via a XLR to 3.5mm cable and then 3.5mm to 2.5mm cable. I am looking at getting a Tascom DR-100 to use with the NTG2 and have heard that sometimes this combination produces low levels because of the weak preamp in the Tascom DR-100. What setup would you suggest? Should I use a stand alone preamp in combination with the Tascom DR-100 and NTG2 (is this even possible)? Is there a completely different setup which I haven't considered?

Your best bet is a true entry level production sound recorder like the Fostex FR-2, Marantz PMD-661 or the Tascam HD-P2; they run in the $600 to $750 range. Yeah, it's pricey, but a solid investment. Adding a preamp that would make a difference will put you in that price range anyway.

Your best bet is a true entry level production sound recorder like the Fostex FR-2, Marantz PMD-661 or the Tascam HD-P2; they run in the $600 to $750 range. Yeah, it's pricey, but a solid investment. Adding a preamp that would make a difference will put you in that price range anyway.

How does the cheaper H4n (which I currently have) stack up to those more expensive recorders?

The DR-100 and H4n tend to record at lower levels - they're aimed at musicians who work at higher dB levels. They don't have convenient volume controls. The don't have much in the way of audio routing. The build is not as substantial.

The entry level production sound recorders are more ergonomically designed to work in a bag. They have better, quieter preamps. The HD-P2 and FR-2 (not the LE version) have time code. They make more efficient use of batteries and/or battery packs. In other words, they are specifically designed to do the job of production sound.

Back