• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

sound recording on the beach

Hi there sound people,

I'm preparing for a shoot on a (windy) beach and need to consider my options for sound recording...
The talents will be lying on the sand roughly 10 meters away from the water.

What kind (brand, type ...) of directional condenser microphone would you use for recording in such a windy environment ? With a blimp and deadcat ? Anything else ?

Any tip / experience is welcome !!...

Thanks for your help!

A shotgun mic above the talent should work fine. You will need a good blimp, deadcat and boom pole though. It depends on whether the beach is a bay with little waves or a surf beach with pounding waves as to what sort of background noise you will get. To keep things natural and consistent you may even want to add more ocean in afterwards as well, so be sure to record a few minutes of the sound of just the ocean too.

I would also record a wild take (sound only) immediately after taking the shot. Have all actors go through the scene but close mic them with the shotgun 8-12 inches from their mouth. Repeat for each actor. This will allow you to get a very high signal to noise ratio recording. If your actors can deliver the lines with similar tempo and attitude you can cut it up in post and make it fit.

NoiseNinja

Back