• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Sound Recording Equiment

Hey Again(?)

Okay, got a K-3, some film, editing , enz enz; I need Sound RECORDING equipment, but have NO idea what to get.

I should really stress that this will be on a VERY tight budget....so just the absolute bear essentials

Any help much appreciated :)

Happy Holidays!

Audio Technica ATR 6550 shotgun mic, Audio-Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier , Olympus VN8100PC recorder some headphones and an extension cable for the headphones. Set you back $180 , Better work hard to get sound and be adept at cleanup / tweaking . You would still need a boom pole, use a painter's pole.

Might be able to pay a sound person w/ tools the same and get much better results !!

Last edited:
Picture067.jpg

Awesome guys! Thanks abunch, very smart(and funny ;)

@ A.A.; IndieBudget was right on with approx. $180; Ideally, I'd like to keep the sound budget under $200( I had to sell basically EVERYTHINg i own, dvds, guitars, posters, etc to get to finance my own thing), so the list I got is Perfect :D
And I'm defenitley the type that has to own everything(with exceptions of course; I have no craving to own the 2nd dimension of space for instance)

@ I.B.; Thanks abunch man! So, the Olympic Recorder is to actually record the sound, the shotgun mic is to be able to reach the source(?), and the Audio Technica is the mic to put on the actors(and/or general sound sources)?

Infinite thanks as always! :)

ps: do you know of any Slightly higher quality recorder, because I think I could stretch it an extra $30-35?

Rentals of pro equipment requires a substancial line of credit which most guys starting out don't have. That's why people rather buy than rent. I used to rent until an expensive piece of equipment was missing with my crew and my credit card got billed $10,000. Never again with rentals. That was the beginning of the end for me too with credit cards.

Not always. Some crew people pass the responsibility of vans, trucks, and equipment onto the producer to rent.

I may no longer have the messages from sound guys saying "anything we need, the producer can always rent."

They take it for granted.

Bottom line...listen to Alcove, he patiently helps is when we say "Im gonna give a chimp a cheap mic and plug it into my cam" can I get good sound ?

Ok...Im going to shoot a video tomorrow and demonstrate my El Cheapo Deluxe Sound setup with ALL it's flaws and show what I can do with it. I would LOVE feedback on what Im doing right and of course what Im doing wrong.

I will record outdoors w/ the Shotgun and the Lav then move indoors and shoot w/ both mics, then inside a car with the mics. I will present both the raw files from each mic and the video with the sweetened audio. I would love feedback on some basic things I can do with Audacity for sound editing and of course demonstrate the abilities and the flaws of working with such cheap eqt. That way someone can decide what the best one can get using these basic tools and see the limitations. I will post links to the raw audio for anyone to see the output of the cheap recorder with each mic and they can go from there.

any additional ideas on demonstrating the eqt beforehand ? lemme know.
I will start a new thread titled my ultra cheep sound setup or whatever.

Last edited:
Ok...Im going to shoot a video tomorrow and demonstrate my El Cheapo Deluxe Sound setup with ALL it's flaws and show what I can do with it.

do you know of any Slightly higher quality recorder, because I think I could stretch it an extra $30-35?

@Something92 - Yes, having the proper tools for the job is important. But even more important are your mindset and your technique. IndieBudget is working on an extreme mini-micro budget as far as audio is concerned (visuals too, IB?), but he will probably end up with decent audio tracks. Why? He has the mindset of "I want to capture good audio, because I know how important audio is to the ultimate success of my project." So he will take the time during preproduction to think about sound; and he will take the time on the set to deal with the limitations of his gear, and keep the mindset that sound is important.

Now, you have to understand my perspective on things. Would I get any of the things that IB uses? Definitely not, they will not live up to my professional expectations. But that is an important distinction; "my professional expectations." I do audio for a living, audio post specifically. I need tools that will satisfy clients and assure a sonically clean continuing work flow. That means tools built specifically for the job. But guess what? Even though I have tens of thousands invested in my gear, and another $25k invested in my rooms (studio and control room) my competition has hundreds of thousands and even millions invested into their facilities. So, by comparison to my more well financed counterparts, I'm working on an extreme mini-micro budget just like IndieBudget. However, I've had lots of good teaching, lots of good advice from people I admire, and I do incredible amounts of research and testing before I buy equipment and software, so I'm able to get high quality, professional results out of my little facility. But a large part of that is knowing where and how to spend my money to maximize my results.

I get my hands on the entry level pro stuff as well as the mid-level and high end gear as well, so I can make informed comments there. I can't help put together your extreme mini-micro budget audio kit because I never touch the consumer stuff. So, go ahead and put together your extreme mini-micro budget audio kit; just remember that mindset and technique are important because:

"Sound is half of the experience."

"Your project will only look as good as it sounds."

Awsome IndieBudget, sounds great man. Lemme know when its posted :)
As far as suggestions of what to record; how about dialogue both in a car(quiter) and outside(with traffic sounds, etc whatever happens), so basically I'm just echoing what you said: indoors, outdoors, transitioning from in und out, speech, in car, etc. haha

YES, audacity is pretty great. I've only used it to edit and splice up music (mp3 songs downloaded online en such) so that'd be great to hear too ;)

Back