Sound on the Cheap

Question time -

I'm needing a low budget solution for a project I'm working on (for the audio side. I've gotten most of my other gear secured). Project details below, then question.

Format: Web series
ERT: 4-6 min/ep
Cast: 4 (right now, give or take 1 per episode)
Set: 1 (possibly 2 a bit later)
Setup of cast: conference table, likely.

The question being - I'm needing something as a worst case budget scenario solution. (worst case = ~$100).

Mostly I need a recorder and/or mics. I know enough people that I can at least rent a mixer/sound dude for cheap. I'm looking into a Tascam one-piece mic/recorder (Model number escapes me at the moment) and the Zoom H4. I've heard good things about both, but wanting input from people who may have actually used it.

Also kicking around the idea of clip or boom mics (I've got music connections, so I "may" be able to get my grubby little hands on a shotgun mic).

But yeah, thoughts and cookies welcome.

On the plus side a conference room type location is usually quite well isolated from external sound/noises. On the negative side, conference type rooms usually have quite a lot of hard surfaces and are therefore often quite lively acoustically, the conference table itself of course acting as a major reflective surface. As much sound deadening materials as possible (thick blankets or rugs on the walls for example) will certainly help.

Equipment wise, hopefully Alcove will chime in as he has more practical knowledge of production sound equipment than me. Generally a boom with a tight hypercardiod (rather than a shotgun) mic is the best choice for interiors but you'll need a good boom op with 4 different people around the table and spending time getting wild dialogue takes will almost certainly save some nightmares during post. Lav mics are a good and common choice in this type of scenario but you're going to need 4 of them and even wired (rather than wireless) are going to be way outside your budget. Just sticking a recorder (such as a H4N) on the table in the middle of your characters will not get good results, although "good" is a relative term. With decent sound deadening of the room you might just get results passable enough for a no budget web series, as expectations for web series are so low.

Unfortunately, your connections with music people are probably going to be of little benefit. The music biz does not use the same type of mics as required in the film/TV business and it's doubtful any of them have a boom, a shotgun or tight hypercardiod location mic, lav mics or even a portable recorder. You would probably get better results with a decent music studio quality omni mic in the middle of the table than just a H4N but it would still likely be borderline usable.

G

You can bring things into the room to help prevent reflections. Maybe set up some material off camera hanging from the walls, put things on the table, put some tall plants in the corners...

Unfortunately, your connections with music people are probably going to be of little benefit. The music biz does not use the same type of mics as required in the film/TV business and it's doubtful any of them have a boom, a shotgun or tight hypercardiod location mic, lav mics or even a portable recorder.
G

You'd be surprised. Boom mics would be a negative, but shotgun mics and recorders are common among the musical types I know (including myself normally, but my Boss Micro BR isn't going to cut it. Two tracks, no usable mic). Also quite a few who do church gigs, thus lav mics being available if not high quality. GOOD STUFF THOUGH. I'd been meaning to play with some sound deadening stuff, it's just been slipping my mind lately. Gold star to you! The thing is, I've got a couple locations in mind but I know the once piece recording setup won't really cut it. The rooms are too large. Hence the mics. Still exploring though.

VBoheme - The Tascam combo mic/recorder you're trying to remember is probably the DR-40 4 track recorder. A new Tascam DR-40 is $176 from Amazon or $160 from eBay. I have one of these. For a web series, it will do the job.

Great review from B&H here: http://vimeo.com/32801560

Best,

Bill

YES. Thank you. That was bothering me.

You're not gonna get usable audio for less than $100 unless you find someone to lend you the gear, even rental will be pushing it but possible. You can live with one mic if you get the dialogue from each person, one by one in the close ups and cut what ever shot you want underneath it.
Don't even think about using the inbuilt mics on the recorders, especially the Zooms, the're useless.
Doubt musicians will have shotguns as they sound awful on music, they may have a hyper but probably not an ideal one, I'm sure someone will have a C100 (i thin thats what it's called) as they are pretty cheap and handy for musicians.
If you are going to try and wire them all you are obviously looking at getting a mixer in as well. One of your muso friends may help here becuase I'm sure you will have power there and you can get passable audio through one of their desks. Try and put them in another room if poss if any of their gear has fans

FOr my film we are using the Tascam DR-05 and the rode Videomic and the sound is just amazing. whats nice is you can mount it to the camera (DSLR) but i have it on a RODE boom pole and like i said. It sounds amazing.

Why not just boom with a hyper? You will get some room reflections but it's not that bad, as long as the reflections sound the same from person to person. Just so long as it's some reflection and not too much.

Why not just boom with a hyper? You will get some room reflections but it's not that bad, as long as the reflections sound the same from person to person. Just so long as it's some reflection and not too much.

Understand that Harmonica doesn't actually have any first hand knowledge or experience with this; he is merely parroting what has been explained to him over and over and over again......

It also shows that Harmonica didn't comprehend the initial post, which is asking about an ultra mini/micro budget solution.

Back