• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

sound issue

I've got the 'H264' Verison of my Short Film completed and on Youtube...Now there is one of two scenes were the sound quality is very poor (can barely hear the person talk)>....Now, my Editor / Cameraman still hasn't corrected the sound issue....With the H264 verison he has sent to me, can I get someone else to correct this....or because it was used on his software, is he the only who can correct it???

It almost certainly can be fixed, it's probably just a question of how difficult/time consuming it will be. Worst case scenario (providing all the original production sound files are available) would be having to start the audio post process again from scratch and might include a considerable amount of ADR. Best case scenario is if your Editor used Pro Tools for the audio, the dialogue in question is very clean (just quiet) and properly edited. In which case it might just be 15 or so mins of work. The most likely scenario is obviously somewhere between these two extremes.

G

It almost certainly can be fixed, it's probably just a question of how difficult/time consuming it will be. Worst case scenario (providing all the original production sound files are available) would be having to start the audio post process again from scratch and might include a considerable amount of ADR. Best case scenario is if your Editor used Pro Tools for the audio, the dialogue in question is very clean (just quiet) and properly edited. In which case it might just be 15 or so mins of work. The most likely scenario is obviously somewhere between these two extremes.

G

the bit that is really the only issue, now ive got a friend to watch it..theres a scene where you can hear thunder / rain outside, and the main character goes down stairs, and you don't hear it, then suddenly it comes back on....that's all I would fix....I fell out with the editor / cameraman due to him being incompetent, so he wont fix it....not the best situation to be in

theres a scene where you can hear thunder / rain outside, and the main character goes down stairs, and you don't hear it, then suddenly it comes back on....that's all I would fix....

The two main concerns here are:

1. There is limited scope to separate the dialogue from the other sounds in the mix; thunder, rain, any Foley and whatever other sound/noise was part of the original dialogue recording/s. Raising the volume of the dialogue means raising the volume of everything else as well.

2. Just fixing the section in question may or may not work. You've obviously got to consider that this section needs to fit seamlessly with what precedes and follows it.

If, as Alcove asks, you have the original files, then you can raise the level of the dialogue independently from the sound FX. This solves concern #1. If you have the original production dialogue AND all the SFX your Editor used, then with a bit of careful editing and mixing you can probably seamlessly match the new section with what follows and precedes it. If you don't have the exact same SFX as your Editor, you're going to have problems! For example, every recording of rain is at least slightly different; different speed/hardness of rain, different surfaces the rain is landing on and different mic/mic position results in a different tonality, aural perspective and overall different rain SFX. The same is just as true with any other SFX which your Editor has added, the thunder for example. Your new, fixed section will stick out like a sore thumb unless all these sustained SFX match pretty perfectly between the existing and new sections. In all likelihood, the easiest/quickest acceptable solution to concern #2 is to rebuild the sound for the entire scene/shot!

If you don't have even the original production dialogue files, then the solution is most likely rebuilding the entire scene with ADR. And, depending how the sound of this scene transitions from the previous scene and into the following scene, you might have to rebuild some or all of those as well! This is leading towards the worst case scenario I mentioned previously but is much less likely than just having to rebuild the individual scene in question.

G

Back