• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

sound equipment help

Hello! I' m new to film making and film making forums. I think it is an excellent platform for new comers like me. now, to the real problem. i've always been interested in film making and documentaries and recently, i got the chance to step in the field. there is a competetion here for making a 25 minute documentary with your mobile phone ( weird i know) but it is college campus thing! Though they say that the docu can be made with the cellphone and luckily i've a nice phone which can shoot upto 720p and gives out excellent quality. My problem is that the sound quality is no good. And the rules don't say anything about using external equipments ( i checked by asking too!) i've to take some interviews and some outdoor shots. So, my question is how do i solve the audio problem? Being a student i'am on a budget.
Any help is highly appreciated. So ACTION!! :lol:
Thank you!

I'm not sure what the exchange rate is or if you are talking aus. $, but the sennheiser G2/G3 has become the workhorse of low budget filmmaking. This unit sells for $600/channel, and add a quality lav (sanken, tram, rode) for approx. $250 and you have a highly reliable, quality wireless. No, it will not have the range of Zaxcom or Lectros, but I can vouch for the stability, durability, and sound quality and I have had no problems, even when laving someone inside a car, and being 30 ft. away.

Never, Ever, Ever Go with a wireless system that's under $1000, especially clip on mics.

@ alcove audio you are right there’s no point in choosing between dog poop and cat poop, though my girlfriend has a cat and in my experience the latter smells horrible :s I checked out that tiny audio piece, it’s good but I think I’m gonna pass.
@ JohnJohnson Thank you that sort of seems perfect for the time being.
@Synia and ROC I think you are both right and yes I completely agree with ROC, it depends on the person using the equipment more than the equipment sometimes. Some people make great works out of stock or used products.
@ gpforet no sorry that is not my budget. I was talking about U.S $.
@PaulGriffith I think I’ll take your advice because I don’t see any point in buying crap equipment which I won’t even use in the future, it’ld be better to just rent, though renting seems expensive for me right now because of those prices but it is a better choice. I wanted to use all this because many other participants might just use the stock recorder in the mobile phone, which will of course make my audio and video quality seem better at least for the time being. I’ve written the script will finalize it by the weekend. Everything else is in place too. Let’s see if I can find some good equipment on rent. We have enough time.
Thank you so much everyone for your inputs. Your recommendations and opinions are highly appreciated!!
Alternatively, can someone please guide me where I can find some tips for new film makers for this kind of a project. Or if you have any other helping link for noobs please share/ guide me.
Thank you!

Back