Sound Equipment Check List

We are shooting an artistic commentary tomorrow. I am bringing my recorder and mic and we will sync the recorder to the camera with a clapboard. The Rode NTG-3 takes it's power from the Tascam recorder--right? There is no battery compartment in the mic. So, I will need extra batteries for the recorder? I have a good supply of AA batteries.

The Rode NTG-3 takes it's power from the Tascam recorder--right?

Correct.

So, I will need extra batteries for the recorder? I have a good supply of AA batteries.

Lots and lots of batteries. Two of these will do just fine.

Double-AA-Batteries-for-Sale-Very-Cheap-300x300.jpg

Don't forget headphones, boom-pole, shock-mount, cables, spare cables, AC adapter, small toolkit, and, of course, the mic and recorder.

Yeah... running Phantom Power/48v will sho 'nuf put the hurt on some batteries. I was buying copper-tops left and right but now I try to keep some AA rechargeables in rotation. Didn't expect the performance to be great, but so far they've held up well (or at least comparable to their non-rechargeable counterparts).

I still keep a couple of regular AA 4-packs in my audio case for backup, though.

And I also second Alcove's note about what not to forget. Especially HEADPHONES. If I leave anything at the house by mistake, it's gonna be the headphones.

When you get to the set look for noise sources - florescent lights, computers, copiers, refrigerators, media systems (TV, etc.), security devices; turn off any that you can. In fact, if time allows - and the interview set-up situation is compatible - walk around with the mic, recorder and cans and listen for the noise hot-spots; if you can, set the interview up as far away as you can from the noise zones.

And, no matter what you do, go through your bag and make sure that everything is there.

If you have any sound blankets and carpet pieces make sure that they go along as well.

Thanks Alcove Audio. We are shooting outdoors in a park tomorrow morning. We are looking to start early before the ice cream truck gets there along with lots of kids with skate boards.

We are shooting a one minute artistic commentary. The hope is to wrap before the traffic arrives. We are picking up coffee, tea, and snacks from a doughnut shop on the way over.

Everything is in the bag now. I will recheck when I bring it to the door and car again tomorrow to make sure nothing falls out.

Back