• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Sound Engineer/Mixer people

Hi all,

I'm finishing up a documentary, about an hour long, and called up someone I worked with prior to ask about having him do the audio finishing, just a first pass, stereo mix. He said it would take maybe 2-3 days, and then asked me what my budget was.

I'm having a hard time coming up with a rate that works for me and him, so don't really know what number to throw out there.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

If he's asking what your budget is then it means his fee is flexible.

So if you're having a hard time coming up with a rate that works does that mean you've been talking numbers already and there is a big gap between your budget and what he wants?

So what is your budget? How big is the disparity?

Yeah it's a legitimate question, "what's your budget?"

If he's a friend, he's basically saying he's willing to discount IF you need it. Be honest. If you're budget is $500 then that's what it is. If it's more then that's what it is. If he can't do it for what you can afford, then look elsewhere.

As an aside, when editing or doing design or anything freelance for friends, non-profits or whatever I'm usually willing to do it for less as well if I have the time for it anyway. If they say "all I can afford is X" then I take it or leave it, or offer a cheaper option or say "oh man, I charge less than that anyway."

Not a question anyone online can answer really, just talk it out with him and again either take it or leave it.

You don't "master" TV, film, etc. That's only for music. BTW, having sat in with real mastering engineers, two or three days for a 45 minute album was not excessive back in the day. They work a lot faster today - mostly for economic reasons - and, in my opinion, it shows in the lack of quality of todays finalized recordings.

Two or three 10 hour days at $20 an hour would be $400 or $600. $20 an hour is a very generous discounted rate.

Hi,
Nah, No talk of numbers yet, was just looking for a number to throw out. True, he's willing to do low budget. A little background, he's got 15+ yrs experience, and has done broadcast level shows. He's also done a lot of indie stuff too.

A little new to the lingo, difference between master and mix ? What I had in mind for him to do was to take the existing dialogue, effects and music tracks and weave them all together, not too much sound design in terms of adding music or effects (I have that part done already)

I was planning to throw out $1300 as the quote, comes out to about 54/hr for 3 days (8 hrs/day)

Just wanted to make sure that kind of number wasn't a total insult, which it doesnt seem to be.
Thanks guys

Yep, you're talking about mixing. Alcove, please excuse my ignorance in not knowing that film audio doesn't get mastered. I actually come from a music background and have also worked with countless mixing & mastering engineers from Los Angeles to Nashville. So I'm used to always going to the mastering house after mixing. :)

I don't think $1300 is an insult. Just make sure you know what you want as the final mix, whether it be stereo, 5.1, 7.1, or all of the above.

Back