• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Sound editing

Hey all,

I was discussing a few days ago with people on here about how you watch movies / sound, being it your movie or someone else.

I recently acquired a set of Logitech G930's. A gaming head set. I bought them for gaming but I decided to test them out for editing.. They have 7.1 surround built in and a switch on the head set to change from 7.1 to stereo.

What I did was play a short I made recently and I sat outside (they are also wireless) and had a smoke and a coffee and just sat there listening to it... I tell you what, if I had these things when I made this short I would have NOT uploaded or spent alot more time on the sound...

Not watching the video made me REALLY concentrate on the sound and I noticed 6 - 7 mistakes in the audio..

I highly suggest it! :D

You'll catch audio editing and similar mistakes, but the biggest problem that headphones can never solve is translatablility - having the mix translate into numerous audio formats. Will the same mix sound good at a theatre screening, on a home theatre, on computer speakers (YouTube/Vimeo)?

But that's why you edit in a properly isolated/treated room with really nice speakers and mix on a certified mixing/dubbing stage.

Back