• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Sound Design Course...

One needs to be a little careful here as the term sound design is being used as an umbrella term, meaning the general design of all sound, rather than the specific term Sound Design as used in Film. For example, this wide use of the term incorporates the creation of music, as of course music is sound too even though music and sound tend to be separate in the film industry. Underlining this is the fact that the course instructor is from the music side of the audio industry. In reality, this course appears to offer very little specifically for those involved in the film side of the audio industry.

Having sounded very critical of this course from the filmmaker's point of view as the syllabus is far more focused more on music than on sound, it also includes a fair amount of general audio principles and so could be quite useful. I'm not suggesting anyone here should not take the course, just to be aware that the course is mainly general audio principles and music rather than specifically about sound design as the term is used in film/TV.

G

A woman I met is interested in making movies as well. She graduated from an audio engineering school, but when it comes to doing sound for movies, she has no idea what to do, and even I have learned more than her, even though I hardly know much at my stage either. Just goes to show that a school may not teach you anything you need to know.

From the syllabus description it looks like you get a day or two of sound-for-picture. It also seems to lean towards the technical aspects.

Week 4: Music Technology III
Interaction and Networks
-Laptop Ensembles, Mobile Music, Music Information Retrieval

Composition
- Roles for Computers in Composition, Algorithmic Composition
- Sonification, Data-Driven Composition

Sound and Film
- Sound and Image, Sound and Narrative

This course from Berklee looks a little more comprehensive:

http://www.berkleemusic.com/school/...duction-for-film-and-tv?tab=17200418&program=

Last edited:
A woman I met is interested in making movies as well. She graduated from an audio engineering school, but when it comes to doing sound for movies, she has no idea what to do, and even I have learned more than her, even though I hardly know much at my stage either. Just goes to show that a school may not teach you anything you need to know.

As we've told you before H44, the vast majority of audio engineering courses are gear towards the music industry rather than the film/TV industry. A good audio engineering course will give you a good grounding in digital audio theory, acoustics, the principles of sound waves and analogue sound as well as the theory of audio perception (psychoacoustics). This info is essential for anyone involved in audio, music or film/tv. However the techniques of recording, editing, processing and mixing will almost entirely be based on techniques used in the music industry and are not so useful for those interested in sound for film/tv. As a general rule, the vast majority of audio engineering course offer extremely little or absolutely nothing specifically related to film/tv techniques, methodologies or workflows.

An extremely rare exception is the course Alcove linked to or rather Berklee itself, which is one of the very few establishments which runs film/tv audio post specific courses and has high quality personnel with real experience of the TV/film audio professions to back their course up.

G

Sound-for-picture is still one of the few film crafts that work on the "apprentice" system. You can read all the books you want and participate in endless forums, but until you actually observe and work with professionals in action it's very rare for the light bulb to go off.

A second issue is that to do quality production sound and audio post require very specific tools and facilities that can be quite expensive.

A third major issue is "mental" training. Unlike music sound-for-picture requires incredible subtlety; although it is a huge component of modern filmmaking 99% of the time it's never supposed to be noticed.

And, of course, it requires talent and a creativity that calls for thinking way out of the box at times.

Back