Sound and Blocking help?

You should use lavs. Since it is (I'm assuming) a sit-down interview they do not necessarily need to be wireless. It would be preferable to use a mixer, since the DR-40 cannot easily do separate levels and separate dynamics processing to the individual channels.

Trew Audio will rent nice lavs (TR-50, B-6, COS-11) in the $15 to $20/day range, and a Sound Devices MixPre for about $25/day, or a Sound Devices 302 for around $35/day.

http://www.trewaudio.com/

You may also check out Pro Sound Services

http://www.pro-sound.com/

Better yet, hire someone to do the job right.

This is why I always recommend (first) hiring or (second) renting over owning; you never seem to have everything that you need, and often don't have the time to learn a new skill-set (wiring up lavs, for example).

If you don't want to spend the money to do it right (shame on you!) you should use the ATR-6550 for the interviewer and the AT897 for the interviewee, as the interviewee will be giving the long answers. Mount them overhead on booms, or on short stands on a table between them.

You should use lavs.
If you don't want to spend the money to do it right (shame on you!) you should use the ATR-6550 for the interviewer and the AT897 for the interviewee, as the interviewee will be giving the long answers. Mount them overhead on booms, or on short stands on a table between them.

Thank you Alcove, I really appreciate the help. It's not a matter of "want" to right now, but have to. I do not wear $90 jeans, $11-15 dollars at Wal-mart... I do not drink Star-bucks every day (would love to though), it's a pot of store brand atm, whatever's on sale, dark roast. I also don't own a pair of shoes over $50 in value... I did not anticipate needing lav.s as I never thought I'd do a documentary style video. I was interested in getting some a while back when my "hobby" budget wasn't gone, but now is a different story.
I may just have to have the mic.s show in order to get nicer sound, about 16-18"s away (max?) right? I don't have booms, only one boom pole... I do have some small tripods and the mic clamps that will fit. Should I run both mics into the DR-40? Really appreciate all your input, it's been a great help.
:yes:

If I did get a few dollars to put into the project (episode 2, 3, or later) would it be better to get lav.s for the DR-40 or replace the DR-40 and use the shotguns? This won't be a paying gig so hiring someone seems less.... uh... of an investment? I know the end result would be way better, but for a hack like me, in a controlled environment, might I be able to get a reasonable audio capture??? I am looking for sponsors and donations for the project, so far the location is the first generous gift.

I don't have booms, only one boom pole...

So borrow something like this:

spin_prod_533282301

I do have some small tripods and the mic clamps that will fit.

Like this?

760a___Table_Top_Mic_Stand.jpg

Should I run both mics into the DR-40?

Yes, into the DR-40; the sound quality is better than the cameras, neh?

The whole point is to get the mics in as close as possible. The closer you get the mic the more voice you will capture and the less noise (AC, etc.) and "room" sound (ambient reverb) you will get

If I did get a few dollars to put into the project (episode 2, 3, or later) would it be better to get lav.s for the DR-40 or replace the DR-40 and use the shotguns?

I always give my recommendations in order of preference. Lavs + mixer + DR-40 = first recommendation.

This won't be a paying gig so hiring someone seems less.... uh... of an investment? I know the end result would be way better, but for a hack like me, in a controlled environment, might I be able to get a reasonable audio capture??? I am looking for sponsors and donations for the project, so far the location is the first generous gift.

Hiring someone is ALWAYS a good investment. First, you learn from them. Second, the quality of that part of your project improves by several orders of magnitude. Think about one of my axioms - your project only looks as good as it sounds. If it sounds solid it will positively impact potential clients, thereby getting you more funding or a higher fee.

Hiring is always cheaper than buying.
You might even find a beginner soundy with a zoom and rode mic willing to work for a small fee or maybe evn expenses

Back