sony vx2100

I'm new to the film-making industry and I was in the market for a camera, What does everyone think about the Sony vx2100? Is it worth the money or is there an alternatinve?

the GL2 has a 30p mode called Frame Movie mode and it looks more like film and 2 friends I know that have GL2's said they love that mode; it also has standard 60i. The Sony is limited to the 60i only. I'd go with the GL2. It's in the same price range I believe.

Whichever you choose, do yourself a favor and buy a DV deck...don't use cameras as decks...if you're going to use your camera as a deck, when it arrives at your door or when you get it home, take out a baseball bat and beat it to pieces and just get it over with...using your camcorder as a deck can and will permanently damage the VTR playback, heads, and internal recording mechanisms.

After a while searching for the right camera for me, I discovered that the 2100 wasn't worth the mullah once you take into consideration the accesories you would need. Most camera's around that price range seem to have included xlr microphone breakout boxes, but the 2100 doesn't even have the connections for xlr microphones.

You will have to buy an adaptor for around $800 aus (don't know how much in USD)to equal the audio abilities of rivaling cameras. This would push you into the price range of the dvx which is a far better camera hands down. www.globalmediapro.com is a new zealand company that sells most cameras at very good prices (I assume they ship to the us). Good luck!

using your camcorder as a deck can and will permanently damage the VTR playback, heads, and internal recording mechanisms.

Maybe... but in the last five years I've edited over a dozen shorts, a feature, an hour-long drama and a couple of half-hour to hour documentaries using a TRV900 as an edit deck and it's still running fine. A head replacement is cheaper than buying a DV deck (though probably more expensive than buying a bottom-end DV camera to use as a deck).

Zensteve said:
Should mention that, even if they do, it would most likely be a PAL camera as opposed to the USA's NTSC standard.

That could be problematic for some people.

You're right Zen, although they do have a few ntsc versions such as the pd170 and some new sony cameras. Worth a look at just for the price and reliable service from what I have heard.

Back