Sony NEX-5

Hi,

I've been told by some people, Charlie McDonnell and The Gadget Show included, that DSLRs provide one of the best methods to shoot video with. The idea of a DSLR appeals to me as they appear that bit more versatile than a standard camcorder (Interchangeable lenses, higher quality stills, etc.).

In my endless search to choose a camera I accidentally happened upon the Sony NEX-5, Sony's latest release, whilst watching TV. The camera looks incredible: it's small, lightweight and supposedly incredibly good at its job. So, I'm wondering, is it worth forking out £450ish for it, especially if I want to use it for filmmaking. I've been told before that a mic input is important and the NEX caters to that, which has only encouraged me further.

Thanks in advance,
Jack.

I've had a quick Google, and I don't think I'd recommend it. While cheap, it doesn't have full manual exposure control in video mode, only aperture priority mode. This, for me, would rule it out completely.

The cheapest DSLR with full-featured video capabilities is the slightly more expensive Canon 550D - this will give you full manual control, the ability to shoot at 24, 25, 30, 50 and 60 fps and a much wider range of own-brand lenses than the Sony.

When it comes to sound, none of the DSLRs offer very high quality options, and many of them are missing basic capabilities such as manual level control and headphone monitoring. I'd ignore the camera's sound features, and have a look at some external audio recorders.

The NEX5 footage I've seen has been crap.

Search on vimeo for footage of all the cameras you are considering.

What I saw from NEX5 was very limited dynamic range and bad noise. Not what attracts me.

Back