• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Sony Handycam HDD to Mac

I borrowed my buddy's Sony Handycam HDD yesterday to try it out. I ran into some problems importing the video to my computer. My FCP could not locate the camera so I ended up importing it to iMovie, which recognized it. Now that I have the video uploaded to iMovie, can I transfer it to FCP?

I right clicked on the clips and selected "view in finder", then from this folder I imported the .mov files into FCP. I guess this is a solution, however I'm hoping it does not affect the equality.

WAY BACK when, I seem to remember iMovie saving movie files as ".dv" files, which then needed to be rendered in Final Cut to be played back (because the audio was 44.1 kHz or something strange that iMovie did).

They've probably fixed this by now.

Still if you find yourself needing to render, something is probably wrong. If not, then you're not going to lose any quality from doing what you just told me.

To try getting the camera working in Final Cut, attach the camera, then
Go to Final Cut Pro-> A/V Settings
Under Device Control Preset, choose (probably either Firewire NTSC or HDV Firewire)

Close that window, then go to View->Refresh A/V Devices

Next, hit Command-8. See if it shows anything as being attached.

Back