• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Something about Lighting

Hi friends,
This question is actually for my friend. He's writing a script and wants to make it on the screen. He's pretty n00b to this whole filmmaking thing.

However, he wants to use a Red one camera. But so confused about lighting, He's ready to buy new ones. But want to know what types of lights should be used.

The Movie will be a thriller, he wants lighting like the movie 'Wanted'.

Please help me suggesting some good lighting equipments, it would be great if you put the links or prices too.

Actually you can create lighting from nothing. It's all about being able to control the lighting and your environment. If we told you go out and buy XYZ brand of lights but then you didn't know why your getting a ton of extra fill light then it was pointless to buy the lights in the first place. As I said you can create something from nothing. Learn to bounce light, experiment with bringing blacks up and using the negative to light.

It sounds like your friend has some money. Maybe he should look to hire a professional and learn as much as he can from him to get started. Then maybe once he learns some basics he'll have a better understanding of what he wants.

Again we can say go buy this or that but it isn't going to help you in the long run. I would much rather hear of a scene that he is planning on shooting and then help walk you through how I would set up some lights or discuss why it should be lit one way as oppose to another. Does this all kind of make sense? Remember we are here to help, so please don't take offense.

If you're spending all this money on equipment (and shooting on RED), I suggest you spend some of that money on a qualified DP that knows how to light.

Cheers.

LEARN THE À@#$?@$@$%&&?#%?&*#?*#* CRAFT!!\

Stop thinking with your foot. Equipement are tools, but you need to know how to use your tools and you need to know how you want to use your tools. So first off, go to home depot and buy some cheap working light and experiment with your imagination. LEarn to control a crappy light than from there you will start, maybe, to get an idea of the craft.

RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH,

You can buy any kind of light, if you don't know how to use them there is not point of buying them.

Good luck

Even when the frame doesn't show an obvious strong light direction, "Wanted" always seems to have some crisp, sharp highlights. Probably small operated, snooted, focusing spots (but not the only way to do this). It's especially hard to know, given that even in almost any "hero" shot there's a good chance that the actors have been greenscreened or heavily-composited.

I could suggest some luminaires, but really It's a mix of lighting, location, production and costume design, and of course an experienced colorist.

I suggest buy no lights, or a red one. Take a simple camcorder or even a stills camera, go to your locations, shoot some pictures, think about the existing light first & see what you can get away with with foamcore ($3/sheet) and aluminum-foil ($3/roll) reflectors. Then go back to your script & think about how you're actually going to shoot it.

Hey, it worked for DW Griffith.

Last edited:
Check here for techniques and equipment to see why you aren't getting the answer you were asking for: http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=9597

Any light will throw photons, the kind of fixtures your DP is used to will determine how long your setups will take, but any decent DP/Gaff team should be able to use any lights you throw at them... even none given outdoors and reflectors, scrims and flags. The more I make films, the more I realize that I can teach you all of the "craft" in a weekend, but without the "art", the product is unwatchable... and that takes experience. Pick apart some shots from Wanted, that will get you what you were looking for.

Actually you can create lighting from nothing. It's all about being able to control the lighting and your environment. If we told you go out and buy XYZ brand of lights but then you didn't know why your getting a ton of extra fill light then it was pointless to buy the lights in the first place. As I said you can create something from nothing. Learn to bounce light, experiment with bringing blacks up and using the negative to light.

It sounds like your friend has some money. Maybe he should look to hire a professional and learn as much as he can from him to get started. Then maybe once he learns some basics he'll have a better understanding of what he wants.

Again we can say go buy this or that but it isn't going to help you in the long run. I would much rather hear of a scene that he is planning on shooting and then help walk you through how I would set up some lights or discuss why it should be lit one way as oppose to another. Does this all kind of make sense? Remember we are here to help, so please don't take offense.

If you're spending all this money on equipment (and shooting on RED), I suggest you spend some of that money on a qualified DP that knows how to light.

Cheers.

LEARN THE À@#$?@$@$%&&?#%?&*#?*#* CRAFT!!\

Stop thinking with your foot. Equipement are tools, but you need to know how to use your tools and you need to know how you want to use your tools. So first off, go to home depot and buy some cheap working light and experiment with your imagination. LEarn to control a crappy light than from there you will start, maybe, to get an idea of the craft.

RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH,

You can buy any kind of light, if you don't know how to use them there is not point of buying them.

Good luck

My dear friends, as I said He is a n00b, don't know much about these things except he has visuals of the script in his mind. I am a beginner too, That's why I asked professionals like you. If this is too silly, please dont take it seriously.

Thanks for all the replies. :)

Even when the frame doesn't show an obvious strong light direction, "Wanted" always seems to have some crisp, sharp highlights. Probably small operated, snooted, focusing spots (but not the only way to do this). It's especially hard to know, given that even in almost any "hero" shot there's a good chance that the actors have been greenscreened or heavily-composited.

I could suggest some luminaires, but really It's a mix of lighting, location, production and costume design, and of course an experienced colorist.

I suggest buy no lights, or a red one. Take a simple camcorder or even a stills camera, go to your locations, shoot some pictures, think about the existing light first & see what you can get away with with foamcore ($3/sheet) and aluminum-foil ($3/roll) reflectors. Then go back to your script & think about how you're actually going to shoot it.

Hey, it worked for DW Griffith.

Thansk mate , that was really informative one.

Check here for techniques and equipment to see why you aren't getting the answer you were asking for: http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=9597

Any light will throw photons, the kind of fixtures your DP is used to will determine how long your setups will take, but any decent DP/Gaff team should be able to use any lights you throw at them... even none given outdoors and reflectors, scrims and flags. The more I make films, the more I realize that I can teach you all of the "craft" in a weekend, but without the "art", the product is unwatchable... and that takes experience. Pick apart some shots from Wanted, that will get you what you were looking for.

Thanks knightly, nice thread you got there :)

My dear friends, as I said He is a n00b, don't know much about these things except he has visuals of the script in his mind. I am a beginner too, That's why I asked professionals like you. If this is too silly, please dont take it seriously.

Thanks for all the replies. :)

Exactly...that's why I said hire a DP. Noobs should not be shooting and handling a film shot on Red with a light package. They should first be purchasing (or borrowing) inexpensive DV cams, buying a few work and clamp lights, and purchasing a cheap boom kit.

If I wanted to learn to be a mechanic, I'm not going to rent a cherry picker and pull the engine out of a Porche...I'm going to get an old VW Bug and tear it apart without fear of spending too much cash or confusing the hell out of myself.

The basics should be learned first...and if you can't wait to learn the basics, and you need to shoot on Red with a grip and lighting kit pronto...then hire (or search high and low) for a qualified individual willing to work on a project like this...

Good luck.

Exactly...that's why I said hire a DP. Noobs should not be shooting and handling a film shot on Red with a light package. They should first be purchasing (or borrowing) inexpensive DV cams, buying a few work and clamp lights, and purchasing a cheap boom kit.

If I wanted to learn to be a mechanic, I'm not going to rent a cherry picker and pull the engine out of a Porche...I'm going to get an old VW Bug and tear it apart without fear of spending too much cash or confusing the hell out of myself.

The basics should be learned first...and if you can't wait to learn the basics, and you need to shoot on Red with a grip and lighting kit pronto...then hire (or search high and low) for a qualified individual willing to work on a project like this...

Good luck.

I told him to wait for some months and learn some basics, hope he will do that, thanks m1chae1 :)
I am learning these too. ;)

Back