Some tips - effective video advertising

I'm in the process of creating a video ad for my metal album I released this weekend and I was looking for some input on how I should go about it.

I don't have after effects or anything like that, just a simple video editor with simple effects like "fade in" and some knowledge of image editing. On the other hand I'm really good with sound (I am a composer and music producer after all).

Here's my first try:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9AYdgnQbLE

The basics are there, the message, music in the background with a catchy intro section (that 80's metal scream and a big dramatic "hit"), then a few clips from other songs. The "Support indie music" as a way to get people to empathise with "the little guy" too.

On the image side of things I pushed the album art to one side to use the space for writing, I think that works well as it doesn't feel cluttered (as compared to writing on TOP of the image).

Please, tell me what I can do to make it more appealing or effective, I'm not a film maker so this is very far outside my area of expertise.

Last edited:
Is there a time limit you'd like to keep under? Say the 60 second mark?

Looks like 7+1 bonus tracks on the album: http://metalrenardmusic.bandcamp.com/album/only-shadows-touch
I can discern what sounds like four of them on the current commercial.
Correct?

Is there a number of sample cuts or time limit per each you'd like to or must adhere to?

This could use some re-org for clarity:
released 13 April 2013
Sam S aka MetalRenard - Music composition and performance (all
tracks). Album editing, mixing and mastering, project organisation.
Lyrics and vocals "Vagrant Soul", "Chaos Confined". Lyrics
"Assassination of the Indiscriminate Mind", "To The Armory".
Walid Feghali - Lyrics and vocal performance "To The Armory".
Chris Scheer aka Torn - Lyrics and vocals "Burden of Dreams", "Last
Day Alive", vocals "Assassination of the Indiscriminate Mind", lyrics
"Chaos Confined".
Fredrik Park - Lyrics, vocal performance and editing "Whispers in the
Air"
Arnold J. Alias - Vocals "Chaos Confined".
Zsolt Gulyás - Cello "Last Day Alive".
Remi Gemelli - Album Art.

That's kind of all... blocky-running-together. :)

Suggest:
Released 13 April 2013 (<--- Capitalize)

Sam S, aka MetalRenard
- Music composition and performance (all tracks)
- Album editing, mixing and mastering, project organisation
- Lyrics & vocals "Vagrant Soul" & "Chaos Confined"
- Lyrics "Assassination of the Indiscriminate Mind" & "To The Armory"

Walid Feghali
- Lyrics & vocal performance "To The Armory"

Chris Scheer, aka Torn
- Lyrics & vocals "Burden of Dreams", "Last Day Alive"
- Vocals "Assassination of the Indiscriminate Mind"
- Lyrics "Chaos Confined"

Fredrik Park
- Lyrics, vocal performance & editing "Whispers in the Air"

Arnold J. Alias (<--- For really? Arnold ALIAS? Pfft, ha!)
- Vocals "Chaos Confined"

Zsolt Gulyás
- Cello "Last Day Alive".

Remi Gemelli
- Album Art​

Is there a technical or industry difference between "vocals" and the "vocal performance" Fredrik Park has listed?

Last edited:
I can't modify those things, it's how Bandcamp's layout/lists work. Even the "released" (small r) isn't my doing, it's just how it is, and it irks me too! I'm a grammar nazi.

The difference between "vocals" and "vocal performance" here is that I had to be more specific with Fredrik's because of the extra work he did with editing. "Vocal performance and editing" sounds better than "Vocals and vocal editing". :)

Arnold J. Alias (<--- For really? Arnold ALIAS? Pfft, ha!) : Yes, he's French. It doesn't mean anything in French. :)

EDIT: WEIRD
It took the new layout. Last time it dumped it. Probably an error because it wasn't published and now it is, I guess. I still can't change the "r" though, and I can't do "bold" etc.

Last edited:
I can't modify those things, it's how Bandcamp's layout/lists work. Even the "released" (small r) isn't my doing, it's just how it is, and it irks me too! I'm a grammar nazi.

EDIT: WEIRD
It took the new layout. Last time it dumped it. Probably an error because it wasn't published and now it is, I guess. I still can't change the "r" though, and I can't do "bold" etc.
Is what it is.
We can only do so much with the tools available. :)

How about the other criteria for the video ad?
Is there a time limit you'd like to keep under? Say the 60 second mark?

Looks like 7+1 bonus tracks on the album: http://metalrenardmusic.bandcamp.com...-shadows-touch
I can discern what sounds like four of them on the current commercial.
Correct?

Is there a number of sample cuts or time limit per each you'd like to or must adhere to?

Oh yes, of course. Sorry, I'm a little under the weather and it's severely messed up my ability to think straight and concentrate.

I think a minute is fine but I hadn't thought of it that way, in this iteration the music and the message were more important to me than the time limit.
In the ad there are 3 tracks, numbers 1, 2 and 6.
I've used parts of the songs that I think really show off what the album has to offer. Limiting it by "seconds" would be out of place because music is measured in... measures. So I gave each song a few bars at least. Of course. there only being 3 means it's not so much a trend as an initial idea.

Understood about illness & concentration. Ugh. Hope whatever it is clears up soon for you.

Three tracks. Gotcha. I think I can pick 'em out now.
0:00 - 0:24 To The Armory
0:24 - 0:33 Burden Of Dreams
0:33 - 0:57 Whispers In The Air

'bout right?

And they're by measures, eh? Sensible.
Just goes to show you the difference between a music head and a video head! :lol:
beerchug.gif
:lol:

Do you have a turn-around-time time frame you'd like to or have to meet?
I got a few ideas I'd like to just tinker with on general principle that could be applied to this cause.
They'll take a few hours to execute, but I'm game. :yes:

Back