Some audio questions...

I've been studying up on audio production the last couple of days, and I can't seem to find some answers to questions I have. I will probably look very dumb but I really don't care. :D

1 - There are two XLR inputs on my Tascam DR-100MKII, so does that mean in order to record stereo sound I need two microphones, since the inputs are for the left and right channels?

2 - A lot of YouTube videos (specifically by Curtis Judd) say to record dialog in mono and then convert it in post to go through multiple speakers - but is this really the best way, or should I record in stereo anyway? And is there such a thing as a stereo XLR cable or do you need two individual ones, and if that's the case is there a way to plug one cable into both inputs to record the sound to both channels?

3 - Are all shotgun mics (like the Rode NTG-1) stereo, or do I need to watch out for mono-only ones? In all of the mics I've looked at I can't seem to find info on whether they're stereo or not... or maybe I just don't know what to look for!

4 - What are some good resources for learning the art of audio production? I'm looking for either books or websites - any resource at all would be a BIG help!

That's about it for now. I'm sure I'll think of more!

Dialog is captured in mono (standard for films)
Some mics are stereo - that run a stereo xlr to two mono xlrs to record separate tracks (for this recorder);
Other mics (omni/cardioid) are mono and set up in pairs in particular patterns for particular stereo imaging prefs. You'll want to record music & ambient in stereo
Yes, shotguns are mono, but if you're recording dialog indoors you'll want a hypercardioid instead - like an Audix SCX1, AT4053b, or MKH50

Record in mono. Mix to stereo later.

Remember that 'stereo' and 'two-channel' are not the same thing. There maybe many occasions when you run two mics through two channels of a mixer and out to two channels of a recorder. But that's to give you two separate pieces of audio to work with and mix later.

Stereo is about creating a 'stereo image' - a sound structure that has depth as well as lateral space. This is something you do in mixing, not recording.

OK, so dialog is recorded in mono. Good to know!

What's a good microphone for both indoor/outdoor shooting? Those mics that Sage posted all look great but are pretty far up there in price - but if one of them is good for both situations I will take it!

I think I'll be watching a lot of YouTube videos on audio mixing, that sounds a lot more interesting now that I know a bit more!

Your initial questions have been well answered but I'll comment on this one:

2 - A lot of YouTube videos (specifically by Curtis Judd) say to record dialog in mono and then convert it in post to go through multiple speakers ...

Maybe you misunderstood but if you didn't, Curtis Judd is incorrect. The mono dialogue is NOT converted in post to go through multiple speakers, dialogue is virtually always positioned to come out of just one speaker, the vast majority of the time, the centre speaker.

What's a good microphone for both indoor/outdoor shooting? Those mics that Sage posted all look great but are pretty far up there in price - but if one of them is good for both situations I will take it!

There is no one mic, or even one mic type, which does everything well. For example, a shotgun mic is usually preferred for outdoor production sound recording, while a hyper-cardioid type mic generally performs better indoors.

I think I'll be watching a lot of YouTube videos on audio mixing, that sounds a lot more interesting now that I know a bit more!

To be honest, I don't know of any or at least, of any decent ones. There are plenty of vids about mixing music but music mixing/production is a completely different field to audio post re-recording (film and TV sound mixing). There are a few similarities between the two but you're not going to know what is applicable to audio post and what isn't. Re-recording (audio post mixing) is quite a complex area and with hardly any exceptions it's barely explained even in film schools/courses, let alone actually taught! There are a few very good books on various aspects of audio post but again, nothing worthwhile about re-recording (mixing).

There are a few posts here on IT from me and AlcoveAudio about audio post mixing and if you have any specific questions feel free to ask. I recommend you start with this thread: The Principles of Sound Design.

G

Edit: The art of Dialogue Editing by John Purcell is a must read (even for non-dialogue editors!) and Flimsound.org is a good place to start online.

Last edited:
1. You turn off the ports you're not using.
2. Yep. Record dialogue in mono. I suggest you download the manual of any equipment you intend to buy and read it.
3. NTG-1 is Mono. Stereo Microphones are more specialized and often cost more.

For outdoors, you'll typically want to use a shotgun microphone with a blimp. Indoors, you'll typically want to use a Hypercardioid.

4. Read: "Location Sound Bible" by Ric Viers

Those mics that Sage posted all look great but are pretty far up there in price

Most of the time, you get what you pay for. Cheap gear gives you cheaper performance. It might have been a good idea to post your budget limits.

Here's a little more detailed breakdown of stereo vs. mono:

Frist, there are channels and there are tracks. A channel is a path of signal flow through a mixer or other audio device. It has an input and an output, or an input with a selection of outputs. A track is a recording path, and though the term dates back to the days of analog when the tape was divided into separate tracks under a record head, it carries on now in digital. Typically, with the use of a mixer (or if your recorder has built-in routing controls), any input channel can be recorded to any track.

On the other end, at playback, any recorded track can play back through any output channel (in both stereo and surround systems) by using pan control.

Two-track audio recorders usually default with the input channels matched to the record tracks. So, channel 1 records to track 1, and channel 2 to track 2. So, is it mono or stereo?

Mono vs. stereo isn't just a matter of one channel or track vs. two. It has to do with how two channels or tracks interact with eachother upon playback.

Mono audio comes from a single input channel. It may be recorded to one or more tracks. In post, only one of the record tracks is typically used, and that track is adjusted using the pan control to play either equally from both left and right speakers in a stereo system, or from the center channel of a 5.1 or 7.1 surround system. Mono means that it comes from one place.

Stereo requires two channels and two tracks, but has to do with how the two paths interact. Two recorded tracks, playing back across two output channels, work together to create a spatial image. Or, many recorded tracks that are panned left and right, may come together into two playback channels to create an image with a left-right spatial spread. Why does this matter? Well, if you have two actors, each wearing a lav with wireless transmitter, recorded to two separate tracks, that is NOT stereo. It is dual mono, as each source will be panned center in post. The two are not intended to create a left-right spatial relationship. 8 actors on 8 wireless mics recorded to 8 separate tracks? That's multi-mono.

This gets confusing because many audio recorders flag 2-track recordings as a stereo pair no matter what, and stereo has become a default term for two linked tracks in many NLE and DAW platforms. Just remember, mono vs. stereo greatly depends on how the audio was recorded and how it is intended to play back. So, if you record one mic to both tracks on your DR-100mkII, you will want to split the stereo pair in your NLE and use only one track, panned to the center.

As for microphones, most mics are mono, though one could argue that ALL mics are mono. There are stereo mics out there, but those may be better referred two as stereo mic arrays because each one actually contains two mic capsules (each capsule is mono) mounted in a single chassis. In other words, a stereo mic is basically two mics housed in one body.

If you buy a shotgun, hypercardioid, or lav, it is going to be mono unless you purchase a model that specifically says "stereo."

Dialog is a mono source 98% of the time. The other 2% applies to special edits where a voice may be heard off-screen and the director wants that off-screen person's location to be obvious to the viewer. Because mono and stereo are about spatial directionality in playback, and dialog is almost always uni-directional (from the center of the mix), it is recorded as such.

Further, recording dialog in stereo can create its own host of challenges. Not all stereo mic arrays are mono-compatible, meaning if both tracks are panned center and played back together there can be artifacts like phase cancellation. The movement of the actors also means that one of the mic capsules in the array will usually be off-axis, and it won't be consistently the same mic capsule, so ditching one in post and using the other will result in inconsistent sound. Also, recording the dialog in stereo and leaving it that way throughout post-production and into screening will create a very disorienting movement of the dialog that can be hard on the viewer.

The final stereo mix of a film will be a mixture of mono and stereo recordings. Things like dialog, Foley, and many FX will be mono sources. Things like music, ambient sound beds (background sounds), and some FX will be stereo sources. But even though they are all mixed together into a stereo mix, all the mono sources are panned to the center.

Likewise in surround mixes, there will be a mixture of mono, stereo, and surround sources. The mono sources will be routed to the center playback channel. The stereo sources will be routed to front left and front right, or may be layered with others to that are sent to the rear fills to create a surround spatial image. And surround sources (usually ambient beds and some FX) will be sent to front L/R and rear L/R.

Last edited:
@AudioPostExpert:

The way he worded it was something along the lines of "I'll show you how to record in mono and mix it to come out through more than one speaker" - so that's where that misconception came from! Thanks for clearing it up, that makes a lot more sense to me that dialog would come from the center speaker.

Also, my budget isn't very high - I'd like to try to find a decent mic for under $300 if I can help it. Now knowing that I might need two (one for indoors and one for outdoors), I will probably expand the budget to be able to purchase two separate mics. I definitely want to invest in good gear, since audio is probably the most important (but most overlooked!) aspect of indie filmmaking.

And you're right, I can't seem to find much about mixing audio for film production - closest I can get is finding a course online from Lights Online Film School - so I might look into that! After I read some reviews of them to see if they're worth the money...

@Acoustic:

Wow, your post was a great well of information! I've re-read it three times to try to absorb all that you're saying. Thank you for the amazing amount of detail and information!

Thanks for all of the info and help, everyone. This is extremely informative and I already feel like I learned a lot in just an hour or so!

At the high end where there is more sound pollution control, it is an occasional practice to use a hyper like a MKH50 or CMC641 for outdoors as well (natural ambiance qualities, light weight, uniformity in dialog) - such as in 'No Country for Old Men' with the MKH50 in the desert

For no budget productions where sound pollution is a primary battle, a shotgun can be used for both - granted that the indoor space is not very reflective (tile bathroom is right out - ADR party), and hard surfaces that are nearby (such as windows) are covered w/ sound blankets out of the shot. If you can test/prepare the interior before the shot, you can do it (and avoid the hollowed out voices, especially deep male voices..)

For no budget productions where sound pollution is a primary battle, a shotgun can be used for both - granted that the indoor space is not very reflective (tile bathroom is right out - ADR party), and hard surfaces that are nearby (such as windows) are covered w/ sound blankets out of the shot. If you can test/prepare the interior before the shot, you can do it (and avoid the hollowed out voices, especially deep male voices..)

Yeah, I read about the importance of proper location scouting, and how it can adversely or positively affect the outcome of your audio. Luckily, the ideas for films I have don't really include many indoor scenes that would have reflective rooms - I've never liked bathroom scenes, they have become a bit cliche in certain cases. :P

I'll definitely look into sound blankets and other sound-dampening products. And I think I'll buy this Rode NTG-2 kit as my first mic/basic audio setup kit, it seems pretty decently priced for all that you're getting.

Of course, I will also look into other mics for better indoor recording, but I think I can get away with only using one if I carefully plot out my scenes and take into consideration the acoustics of everything.

Again, thanks for all of the help!

You might also look at a kit with Audio-Technica AT-875. It's a little less expensive, and still a good mic in the same price range. It has a slightly hotter output which plays a little nicer with the weaker pre-amps of handheld recorders.

The NTG-2 is a great mic for the money, but only with good pre-amps.

4 - What are some good resources for learning the art of audio production? I'm looking for either books or websites - any resource at all would be a BIG help!
This forum is great for that. Youtube is also invaluable. Dozens of good audio tutorials on it.

This course and other DSLR and audio ones on lynda.com are excellent. I think you can join for a month for free but after that trial there is a monthly fee.

DSLR Video Tips with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman (24hrs of material!)
http://www.lynda.com/Final-Cut-Pro-...lr page:1 s:relevance sa:true producttypeid:2

APE, AcousticAl and Sage have covered things fairly well, but let's condense a little.

1 - There are two XLR inputs on my Tascam DR-100MKII, so does that mean in order to record stereo sound I need two microphones, since the inputs are for the left and right channels?

When recording dialog on-set you record it in mono. For most low/no/mini/micro budget indie projects this is usually a mic on the end of a boom-pole. Another attribute of low/no/mini/micro budget indie projects is that the person "swinging" the boom also must run the audio mixer/recorder. As the boom-op/PSM cannot adjust audio levels in real time some audio recorders allow for a Dual Mono mode. In Dual Mono mode the same signal is sent to both channels; the level on one of the two channels can have a lower input level, either pre-set in the unit (-20dB) or can be manually adjusted by the user. During the dialog edit, if the audio on the "normal" channel is distorted due to transient peaks (very sudden loud sounds), the dialog editor can use the audio from the channel with the lower level which is (hopefully) undistorted.

2 - A lot of YouTube videos (specifically by Curtis Judd) say to record dialog in mono and then convert it in post to go through multiple speakers - but is this really the best way, or should I record in stereo anyway? And is there such a thing as a stereo XLR cable or do you need two individual ones, and if that's the case is there a way to plug one cable into both inputs to record the sound to both channels?

When the audio is mixed (rerecorded) 99.99% of the dialog will be placed in the center speaker of a surround (5.1, 7.1) mix. In a stereo mix the dialog will be panned dead center 99.99% of the time.

3 - Are all shotgun mics (like the Rode NTG-1) stereo, or do I need to watch out for mono-only ones? In all of the mics I've looked at I can't seem to find info on whether they're stereo or not... or maybe I just don't know what to look for!
And I think I'll buy this Rode NTG-2 kit as my first mic/basic audio setup kit, it seems pretty decently priced for all that you're getting.

You can assume that a mic is mono unless otherwise noted; stereo mics are considered specialty mics.

For production sound you NEVER EVER want to record dialog stereo. You should use a shotgun (lobar) mic outdoors; if used with skill it can reduce the pick-up of ambient noise. In the confined indoors locations where most indie projects are shot a hypercardioid mic is preferred as it will (if used with skill) somewhat reduce (but not eliminate) that hollow, echoey, roomy sound so prevalent in indie productions.

I recommend that you get the NTG-1 or the Audio Technica AT875. The Rode NTG-2 and the Audio Technica AT897 are both notorious for low output levels, especially when used with budget audio recorders. You should get battery packs for your DR-100mkII as the batteries of most budget audio recorders are drained very quickly when supplying phantom power to the mics.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/461493-REG/Rode_NTG_1_Shotgun_Condenser.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...chnica_AT897BK_AT_897_Shotgun_Microphone.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/826148-REG/Tascam_BP_6AA_BP_6AA_External_Battery_Pack.html

Start with The Location Sound Bible by Ric Viers.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Location-Sound-Bible-Professional/dp/1615931201

And I'll second (third?) the recommendation of Dialog Editing by John Purcell.

http://www.amazon.com/Dialogue-Editing-Motion-Pictures-Invisible/dp/0415828171/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

Okay, now you have some decent entry level prosumer production sound gear, and you've read up on it and watched a bunch of videos. So who's handling production sound on your project?

Okay, now you have some decent entry level prosumer production sound gear, and you've read up on it and watched a bunch of videos. So who's handling production sound on your project?

Probably not me! In any of my serious productions (i.e., not a just-for-fun video for YouTube), I will more than likely look into hiring someone who is properly trained to do it, since my main interest is to be the cinematographer. That being said, I'm still learning as much as I can about audio production, not just so that I can also potentially do it but so that I understand the importance of it! This is why I'm also buying the equipment, so I can practice and also have the chance of producing sound on, say, someone else's project.

I would prefer someone else with more experience handles it on my films, though! :lol:

Back