Some advice needed

Hello everyone,

So last summer, I attempted my first feature film. Long story short, it was an utter disaster. Various things went wrong, all of which I feel as though I have since learned from. For example, my shooting schedule was all over the place and never finalised, the main character was recast several times *during* production (meaning restarting the shoot from the top), amongst other issues. As I say, I do feel like I've learnt a lot from last summers experience. Lessons that I wouldn't necessarily have learned if I had 'got away' with it and scrapped a film together.

I'm now hoping to restart this summer. I have a DoP and a Producer on board, both of which have plenty of experience. I'm hoping for a mid June start date on production and we're beginning casting auditions shortly.

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for someone like myself? This is my first feature film, so I don't really know what to expect from the project. What sort of things should I prepare for? Is Murphy's Law applicable here (I've heard many people say that filmmaking is the home of Murphy's Law)? How do I go about avoiding the mistakes of last time? I believe I have a solid schedule now, but I said that last year too. As far as I know, I gave too much room for changing the schedule to the cast. Should that sort of thing be avoided (well, I know it should, but what to do if it can't be? recast?)? I'm also hoping to get together a proper crowdfunding budget (last year was out of my own pocket, something I can't afford again this year), but I've never crowdfunded before (although my two partners have) so what should I expect from that?

It would be great if anyone who has feature film experience could give me some advice on these points, and anything else I need to bare in mind. I'm really looking forward to this, but at the same time I'm anxious considering last years debacle.

Thanks guys! :)

Yes, I've done a couple of shorts myself, and have worked on numerous others in various roles, mainly as a production runner, but I also spent some time as an Assistant Director on two projects. I originally had the intention of only writing this feature, but as I was writing I was also working with other people, and then I came to the conclusion that my real passion is to direct and that's what I wanted to do with this feature.

What sort of things should I prepare for? Is Murphy's Law applicable here (I've heard many people say that filmmaking is the home of Murphy's Law)?

Everything that can go wrong. It's also important to not only have a plan in place, but have people who can execute those plans if need be.

I gave too much room for changing the schedule to the cast.

There's always give and take. I assume you're no budget? If so, you're asking people to volunteer their time. This is both the cast and CREW. You need remember to be respectful of the crew too.

Should that sort of thing be avoided (well, I know it should, but what to do if it can't be? recast?)?

It's really a ball of string question. There is no one simple solution that fits all categories. Recasting, educating, adjusting, working around the issues are all possible outcomes.

what should I expect from that?

There are plenty of threads on the subject. While it may not be the case for you, the pain you felt for your first project won't be as bad as the pain you'll feel for your crowd funding campaign.

My biggest piece of advice is for you to surround yourself with people who are smarter than yourself. Those who are better at film making than you are. Pick the best team you can get.

Good luck.

Back