Solid Shoulder Mount: DIY Under $30

9900652_919297597e.jpg

Some may have surmised how notoriously cheap I am -- in the words of Robert Rodriguez: "Don't pay for anything."

So what I have in my garage are scraps of WOOD and woodworking tools, drills, table saw, mitre saw, etc.

Some may question the genius of this design, until they understand.

9900651_fe68911d24.jpg

MATERIALS:

piece of 2x4 for the front
several 2x2 redwood pieces
some flat 1" or 3/4" looking pine to make a base plate
some pipe to use as handles
a few shaped steel pieces, you'll see in the pictures
bolts:
a long 1/4" 20 thread for the camera tripod mount plus wingnuts and washers
3" bolts, washers, with locknuts to attach the rear shoulder piece and weight
2 12" bolts with washers and wingnuts to attach the removable baseplate to the permanent baseplate (allows the camera and attached lens to be removed easily)
a lumbar pillow that I found in a bin and some small metal pieces to act as washers when you screw the pillow fabric to the wood...

This is one of those misc. metal pieces I had laying around:

9900650_66dcfe900e.jpg

The purpose of this is to support the anamorphic lens I'm getting, which makes this an anamorphic bliss shoulder mount. I also added a section of vacuum cleaner belt bolted down (from the 99 cent store) to keep the lens from moving (not pictured).

9900646_00f6b27576.jpg

My handles were an extra piece of pipe that goes in a shower rack. I also added padded bicycle grips to finish them off.

9900647_41c83690b6.jpg

The real beauty, and my contribution to this whole concept, is the 45 degree support. It's light, out of the way, and strong.

I repeatedly adjusted lengths and trimmed it as I went, so that it wasn't too large and cumbersome. Remember: don't cut too short. Start long and adjust down in increments.

There you go. Footage after I get the lens setup.

Last edited:
9900649_726af895a5.jpg

I got real lucky having this L shaped metal support piece. Note the mitred joint, done on a table saw. I mitred the pieces for better stability.

9900645_f9313d5b6a.jpg

One can of spray paint, and it looks a lot better. I also went for the matching silver/black weight that is 2 1/2 pounds, and keeps it pretty stable. The long length of the thing gives more stability as well.

The removable option also has an adjustability, with a long slot to slide the camera back and forth. This allows different lenses and filters, as well as a large anamorphic.

9900654_b07614c949.jpg

Last edited:
Nice, you may want to consider repainting in a matte black rather than a gloss black to halt any possibility of reflections on set interrupting your lighting continuity.

I like the design and the methodology! It's the same types of solutions I use when making camera rigs and whatnot!

9903758_4741e6999c.jpg

As promised -- the anamorphic lens test.

Still waiting on the correct adapter to attach, but this quick and dirty O-Ring worked well enough to prove it can work.

http://vimeo.com/22827000

Anamorphic framing is hard, especially on a shoulder mount, with a moving subject. And don't even get me started on focus issues...

Last edited:
Back