Software for a 2hr Scratch Track Recording Session

I'm recording a 2hr scratch track to cut my storyboards to, and am looking for feedback on what software to use for the table read: Final Cut Pro 7 v.s. Audacity.

My goal is to record an informal read-through with some actor/friends and use it as a guide to cut against. This doesn't need to be a production quality recording.

I'm looking for feedback on a light, reliable, application that can handle a long recording session. I'll start/stop the recording every 15 minutes to verify & save it.

My hardware: 2009 13" MacBook Pro / Cinemascreen Monitor.

Thanks.

- Thomas

If you just need audio, Audacity should be able to do the job just fine. Any basic audio software would do the job; I use Wavelab for long recordings (rehearsals, and once a 3-hour live show), but that's because it's what I have. As far as I know there aren't any length/file size limitations in audacity to worry about (I assume you have mics and interface already sorted), so it's only as reliable as your computer.

If you start/stop every 15 minutes, it's not really a long recording 'file-wise'. It's just a long session with multiple recordings.
You just need enough space and a computer that can run that long.

Let's see, two (2) hours is 120 minutes times approximately 12 megs per stereo minute @24bit/48kHz is 1440 megs or 1.44 gigs. You should have at least twice that available on the disk.

Thanks for the input.
I made a few 120minute tests with Audacity, and was happy with the results. It worked flawlessly during our first table read. The second session is tonight.

I'm going to give Audio Recorder a try as well.

Much appreciated.

Thomas

Back