• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

So Ya Wanna Be A Boom-Op...

My biggest gripe is that, after making the requests for proper access and prep time during prepro and every frigging day on the set I was rebuffed by the director, producer and (if there was one) 1st AD in numerous cases; then, when they found out that they REALLY need the room tones, that they REALLY need the dialog wilds, that they REALLY needed to let me get up some sound treatment, they would lay the blame on me - "He said it wasn't necessary," "He was incompetent." etc. This did not happen once, but on several different shoots.

This is the risk of not fighting for what you really need. This is the downside of not going through the proper channels to ensure that you get what you need. (I know it was APE and not you who doesn't see the necessity of going through proper channels) It's your career, it's your future work that you're pissing away when you don't get what you need. The last thing you need is for the producer to be told by the post/audio supervisor that you're incompetent and never get hired again. Then again, if this is happening, it might not be a bad thing depending if you need to eat or not. Making proper use of the script supervisor can also help to protect you in this situation.

I understand the AD's position -- it's his/her job to keep things moving as quickly as possible.
Actually, the 1st ADs job is not to move things along as quickly as possible. His/her job is to to run the shoot efficiently, to take the technical burdens off of the director and to assure that the post teams get what they need.

The first one is right. The AD has a lot of tasks, though taking the technical burdens away from the director is done by the technical crew (sound, camera and the list goes on), not the AD dept. The main two roles (during production) of an AD is the flow of information on set, and keeping the production on schedule. The problem with the AD job list can change from job to job, even from set to set, depending on who's working and what is happening. One big problem on set is most schedules have time restraints that don't allow people to get all the time and resources they'd like to get the job done perfectly. This can create problems and cause a lot of friction on set. If you get 2 hours to do a 4 hour job, everyone is going to get their time allowances cut down.

But it's the director's responsibility to get the raw materials s/he needs, including sound. If the AD is inhibiting that, the director needs to take charge and lay down the law.

While it's ultimately the directors responsibility, the quality of the entire film falls on the shoulders of the director, it isn't his job to get the raw materials. That falls to those doing those specific jobs. If reshoots need to happen, the director is rarely going to feel the brunt of blame for poor audio work if the producer didn't find out from you during production. It may not be fair, but who said life is fair?

Anyway, in the situation pointed out above, once production starts, it's typically the producers role to sort that out. Since the UPM is the AD's opposite, that's why I suggest to talk to them first. The directors job is to concentrate on his creative decisions, not diddle around with management duties. The director chooses the AD to avoid this situation in the first place.

Mmmm, seems like the PSM is significantly better at math than you! Let's say 10 mins of crew time for tone and dialogue wilds against the cost of: An ADR studio, an ADR Supervisor, an ADR Recordist, an ADR Editor and mixer, a Dialogue editor to manufacture you some room tone. The transportation costs and fees for the actors to attend the ADR studio and record the ADR, the Director's costs for attending and directing all the ADR sessions. The additional mixing costs to match the ADR to the sync dialogue. It's not even close is it? You'll pay many times over the few minutes of crew time on set to "fix it in post" and for a generally poorer final product.

I love it how we're now down to a few minutes. Now we're starting to get to the bottom of the numbers. All it took was a bunch of suggestions that got you all upset. I suspect if I pushed even harder you'd get it down to 2 minutes. What you said is a prime example of why you need to talk to the UPM if the AD won't let you do what you need. As a PSM, you're supposed to know more about audio recording than any AD, UPM, Producer or Director. If you let it wrap without getting what you need and without the AD, UPM and Producer acknowledging and dealing with your issues, then quite frankly, you haven't done your job to the best of your ability. It may be unpleasant to do all the political stuff, but if you refuse to do it, then it's your future work in the cross hairs, not mine.

Look, I respect both of you for your audio knowledge. You can embrace my position or not. It doesn't really affect me either way. You have to ask yourself, is what is happening every single time to you on set working for you or not? If not, maybe a change in worth a consideration. If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

I love it how we're now down to a few minutes. Now we're starting to get to the bottom of the numbers. All it took was a bunch of suggestions that got you all upset. I suspect if I pushed even harder you'd get it down to 2 minutes.

Even in the text you quoted, I said 10 minutes. If you think 2 minutes should be long enough for the PSM to record room tone and 5 minutes of dialogue wilds, I wouldn't fight, I'd just note it in the sound log! :)

Look, I respect both of you for your audio knowledge. You can embrace my position or not. It doesn't really affect me either way. You have to ask yourself, is what is happening every single time to you on set working for you or not? If not, maybe a change in worth a consideration. If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

I'm not a PSM either, I only did the job once and that was years ago. I do have to constantly deal with what the PSM recorded and with the Director's decisions on set regarding the sound. As well as my visits to many sets over the years, I also have countless detailed conversations with professional PSMs, as well as their sound logs of course! So this discussion doesn't affect my position, as in my position (audio post), I'm the one who gets to tell the Director what his/her crew's incompetence is going to cost! I used to be quite critical of PSMs but not so much after a few conversations with them. Now if the Director asks me who is to blame I go to the sound logs or phone the PSM first. It's surprising how often it's the Director himself/herself who is the culprit, also surprising are some of the excuses I've subsequently heard, in a vain attempt to get the cost of fixing the problems reduced!

G

Last edited:
Even in the text you quoted, I said 10 minutes. If you think 2 minutes should be long enough for the PSM to record room tone and 5 minutes of dialogue wilds, I wouldn't fight, I'd just note it in the sound log! :)

It's not what I say is required, it's just an observation from the prior posts. You're the expert, not me. You accepting my word for it... well... isn't smart in my opinion. It's my experience that people often exaggerate what is needed often in anticipation of being bargained down and rarely look for ways to come to a beneficial workable situation for all involved.

Who knows, maybe you and the PSM's doing their job are getting AD's who are simply incompetent, or just don't know how to work together. Who knows?

I'm not a PSM either, I only did the job once and that was years ago. I do have to constantly deal with what the PSM recorded and with the Director's decisions on set regarding the sound. As well as my visits to many sets over the years, I also have countless detailed conversations with professional PSMs, as well as their sound logs of course!

I guess this is why you're against logging it with the script supervisor. I suspect you never see the script supervisors notes. Truth be told, most people don't but they're still very important to use if you need. Even if it's just to cover your ass.

So this discussion doesn't affect my position, as in my position (audio post), I'm the one who gets to tell the Director what his/her crew's incompetence is going to cost! I used to be quite critical of PSMs but not so much after a few conversations with them.

Well others can then form their own opinion of what they should do taking into consideration of their unique situation based on our conversations. I have to say that I've been learning a bit in this thread, since sound is far from my area of expertise.

Now if the Director asks me who is to blame I go to the sound logs or phone the PSM first. It's surprising how often it's the Director himself/herself who is the culprit, also surprising are some of the excuses I've subsequently heard, in a vain attempt to get the cost of fixing the problems reduced!

Would love to be a fly on the wall for that conversation... that's for sure.

I am curious, what does a PSM typically earn on a studio shoot?

Would love to be a fly on the wall for that conversation... that's for sure.

They usually start something like: "Oh yes! Now I remember that day of shooting, we had to cut it a bit short, there was an earthquake/tyfoon/tsunami/ice storm/a bit of rain and then I had to go to my mother's funeral/a bar mitzvah/a birthday/hospital/Starbucks/Tokyo. Please, can't we get the cost down a little?"

Response: "Yes but it will sound like shit!" To be honest I'd almost always put it a little more diplomatically but with the same essential meaning!

I think this is a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question. You can probably find a student who'll do it for a bowl of rice and a beer at one extreme and at the other a world class pro who will charge $5k a day inc. all the kit. Alcove would probably be better informed than me on this subject though.

G

We'll leave out newbs working for experience and the low/no/mini/micro budget low-ballers.

If you mean "Hollywood" big budget films, TV, big budget commercials. etc. here in the US it's IATSE rates - and union rules. If it's non-union it's as low as the sound team is willing to accept, or conversely, as much as the client is willing to pay.

For well budgeted projects it's between $25 and $45 per hour for the PSM, $20 and $40 per hour for the Boom-Op, and $15 to $30 per hour for the cable wrangler - time and a half after ten hours, double after 12 hours. You will pay for the rental of their equipment, which will be quite a bit less than what it would cost to rent from one of the big rental houses.

For budgeted indie stuff, you can get a qualified one-man-band PSM/Boom-Op with basic professional gear for between $200 and $500 per day.

PSM, of course; s/he's the one with the ultimate responsibility. However, there are quite a few very long term PSM/Boom-Op teams that know each other inside-out, backwards and forwards; the sound assistant/cable wrangler is always looking to become a PSM or Boom-Op.

Back